Need Idess For A Cerveza.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSm

Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody,

I am in need of some ideas for a cerveza recipe, as i have never done one using a full extract recipe yet.
I have a few cans of morgans extra pale LME in the cupboard and some citra, cascade and amarillo in the freezer. ( about 50g of each ) i also have a tiny bit of POR but im not sure on that one.

Just wanna know what other people have done before and ill build on those ideas.

Cheers jake

Not sure what you mean, Jake.

Cerveza is simply the spanish word for beer - it's not a style of beer. Corona's style is a "Premium (HA!) American Lager".

For an all extract 24L Mexican style beer I'd suggest 2 cans of LME and 500g of dextrose bittered to 20 IBUs at 60 minutes with Galena (or PoR) or something neutral. Ferment with 34/70, or S23 or S189 at 14C.

Basically you want to make about as bland and tasteless a beer as is possible.

Thanks nick, i knew in the back of my head somewhere that cerveza means beet but wasnt sure what else to call it, now i know and thanks for the ideas and you are right with the blandness, though it will probly be for the ladies of the house over summer.

Anyone else have any more ideas on a bland american lager using extract recipe?? Hahahaha

Cheers jake

If you're pitching a dry lager yeast, it might be a good idea to pitch 2 x 15g packs. Lagers are notoriously slow starters. It took a good 3 days for my last lager with S23 to really get going.

True Cerveza is Spanish for beer, but the Mexican brewing tradition is from Germany (well Austro Hungarian empire period Bavaria) along with a bunch of Hussars who were imported to defend the county from the gringos up north and to suppress the peasants.
If you have about 180,000 angry armed Hussars saying ze beer is no goot ya! You get some German brewers on the next boat as fast as you can and they bring the barley seed, hop stock, malting and brewing methods with them.
An anomalous but interesting bit of brewing history but when you are looking to make Mexican beer look to Germany rather than Spain for inspiration.
I find Hallertau Perle to be about the best finishing hop for Mex style beer (not a bad choice for bittering either) a modern hop from the same brewing tradition.
I think you really would want choose the lightest malt you can find and down the LME/DME and up the dextrose close to 50/50 share of extract and keep the bitterness very restrained 14-16 IBU is close to the money, go very easy on any late or finishing hops. Personally not my favourite family of beers but a well made example can be a great quaffer on a hot afternoon
Mark

It always irks me that they sight Stellar Aortas as an example of 1C. Premium American Lager, when the company (SA) started brewing before the USA came into existence just got to shrug and say Americans sometimes.
M

Ideas for a ceverza?

Snail bait.

Beers with the least amount of flavour are the most difficult to replicate at home.(IMO)

It always irks me that they sight Stellar Aortas as an example of 1C. Premium American Lager, when the company (SA) started brewing before the USA came into existence just got to shrug and say Americans sometimes.
M

I think they cite Stella as the BUL American version. My experience of the Belgian version is a really "heavy" lager.

lol i remember speaking to a belgian mate of mine. he referred stella as belgium's " ahhh Emuuu Export" lol :p

On arriving at the boozer the other night, my mate says "What are you having?"
To that I replied "Surprise me"
Guess what I got with a lump of lemon hanging out the top.
Thanks mate!

Had 3 Hoegaarden Wit Blanche beers with lunch yesterday. That is a nice beer.

Once I progress from k&K I'm gunna make me some of that. :icon_drunk:

As for Mexican peasants piss, don't the Mexicans put a lime in it to keep the flies out?

On arriving at the boozer the other night, my mate says "What are you having?"
To that I replied "Surprise me"
Guess what I got with a lump of lemon hanging out the top.
Thanks mate!

So how did he react when you smashed the bottom of the stubbie on the bar and threatened him with it?

Back