Need help with Smurto's Golden Ale on Beer Smith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Roscoe

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and I'm planning on doing this recipe tonight (Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale), I've had the US-05 yeast on the stir plate for the past two days and I'm currently putting all the information into beer smith - I had a little trouble finding the Weyerman grains but realized you had to import and add them separately.

I am wondering if anybody can shed some light on what type of Mash this recipe is for... It gives you a whole list of different options from 'BIAB full bodied' to 'decoction mashes' etc. My setup is similar to this (but no where near as fancy...) http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6 .

I have recently read Palmer's book, but I have already forgotten most of the terms - particularly when it come to 'infusions' and 'decoctions' etc.. I have taken a punt and have put in a 'single infusion light bodied batch sparge' hoping that this is right. Could anyone please let me know if this is right and if not, what should be there?

Thanks in advance!

dr smurto.png

3v brewing, Single influsion, med body, batch sparge is the standard option.

vortex said:
3v brewing, Single influsion, med body, batch sparge is the standard option.
yeah its a 3v system - yeah I figured it wasn't going to be a decoction. The system I use is similar to the one on the link I posted, it recirculates the wart through the HLT in order to maintain the temp.

Yep, HERMS type system. Doesn't really affect it too much.

US05 on the stir plate? Oh-no!
Not necessary, rehydrate one pack or direct pitch bro!

micblair said:
US05 on the stir plate? Oh-no!
Not necessary, rehydrate one pack or direct pitch bro!
The guy at the brew shop said that it will make it more resilient and less likely to die off... will it not?

Chris Roscoe said:
The guy at the brew shop said that it will make it more resilient and less likely to die off... will it not?
He might be smoking wacky weed. Most definitely HYDRATE the yeast in sterile water for about 15-30 min prior to pitching but no need to use a stir plate. Only need stir plate if you are bringing a small amount of yeast up to the required amount, by letting it multiply in a wort, the stir plate aerates the starter increasing speed of healthy yeast growth. In the case of a 19-23 litre batch of DrS golden you will just need one pack of dry yeast, rehydrated.

Chris Roscoe said:
It definitely won't hurt the beer you've got. Unless you get into the 'overpitching' argument. It'll be fine.

slcmorro said:
It definitely won't hurt the beer you've got. Unless you get into the 'overpitching' argument. It'll be fine.
Yeah for sure thanks for the help guys! I will play it safe and re-hydrate some new yeast and go from there - might try and start a yeast harvest from the one that was on stir plate!

slcmorro said:
The conventional wisdom on not doing starters for dried yeast packs is that in adding such a large number of yeast cells to a small volume of starter will lead to autolysis. This means many of the healthy yeast cells will die before they are pitched into a larger volume as there is not enough food or oxygen in the smaller volume for them. This can lead to off flavours and less than optimum fermentation.

US-05 just dry pitch it straight from the pack, it's more than enough yeast to cover off a 1.047 gravity beer.

Why risk the infection by hydrating if you can pitch it straight in? Easy done, don't over complicate it.

Blitzer said:
US-05 just dry pitch it straight from the pack, it's more than enough yeast to cover off a 1.047 gravity beer.

Why risk the infection by hydrating if you can pitch it straight in? Easy done, don't over complicate it.
That's what I do :)

Latest posts

Back