Need Help - What To Brew Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Guys,

Here are the facts -

I have on hand:

25kg Pilsner Malt
25kg Maris Otter
1kg Biscuit Malt

A new grain mill

A $50 ESB voucher

No Yeast

7 Days till I have to go back to work.

Previous brews (in order) - Hef, IPA, ESB, Irish Red, Nth Eng Brown

So what do I brew next? All suggestions will be considered!!

Cheers
DK

Head off to the bottle this afternoon and grab 3 tallies of Coopers Sparkling. At the same time whack in an order for hops, including POR and some dark Crystal, and other bits and pieces to take you up to your $50. By the time they arrive your Coopers starter bottle should be going nicely and you can do a classic Coopers Sparkling style, grain to brain in 10 days.

23L batch:

4500 Pilsener - makes it lighter and cleaner than ale malt
500 Biscuit seeing as you have it
250 Cooked semolina or wheat malt
80 Dark crystal

90 mins 64 degrees

35g POR 60 mins

500g white sugar in fermenter

Coopers Yeast at 18 degrees. No secondary. Keg or bottle out of primary.

coopers_sparkling_clone__Large_.jpg

serve rolled or unrolled according to preference :beerbang:

You read my mind Bribie, but any of your other english masterpieces you want to share, that 25kg of MO is just staring at me..

MMMM Maris Otter :icon_drool2:

I'd maybe just go for a plain and simple Special Bitter with some Calcium (CaCl ) in the water

5000 MO
200 Dark Crystal

500 da sugaz in fermenter

90 mins 67 degrees

20 Challenger 60 mins
20 Northdown 20 mins
20 Styrians 10 mins

And a nice fruity pom yeast like Wyeast 1187 Ringwood and ferment bang on 20.
Cold crash with gelatine for a few days and use some polyclar as well if you've got some.

Sort of TTL ish :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: Is ESB open tomorrow? I need to pick up a few spec grains for brewing this week....

German Pilsner

100% Weyermann Pilsner

1.048, 35 IBU with Hallertau at 40 Min addition. No other hops required.

ferment with WLP830 at 10 deg.

So simple but so fantastic!

cheers

If you want to make an Englishy Bitter with that MO try this (percentages are rounded and won't add up)
Mariss Otter 76 %
Light Xtal 10%
Dark Xtal 6%
Malted oats 4%
Torrified wheat 5%
CaSO4 in mash
wort to about 1045-1048
25 IBU of Target 60mins
5 IBU of EKG 20 minutes
same weight EKG 5 minutes
same weight EKG 0
use a London Ale yeast to your preference else (SO4 will be fine)
this beer, judged by 3 BJCP judges was given 133 points and 1st place at the 2009 AABA championships
actually it was not bad.

K

drK, Great recipe and sounds very Burton on Trent with the CaSO4, ...right now I'm boiling a Burton Style ale, with da salts and some wheat as well and using Progress / Styrian pellets - in your opinion what would be a good liquid yeast for Burton (eg Marston, Bass) ales .. I note the use of the London ale.....there are a heap of UK style yeasts from Wyeast but none of them seem to advertise 'Burton'.

:icon_cheers:

Edit: with this brew I'm using a blend of 1768 English special bitter and 1099 Whitbread that I accidentally concocted (long story :p ) which should do the job but Marstons is one of my projects.

mr malty suggests that wlp023 (Burton) is the same as 1275 (Thames Valley). I have no idea of english geography but google maps tell me that burton on trent is some 180km by road from henley on thames, so by australian, indeed american standards, they are nearby !!!
i used wlp013/1028, a reliable workhorse which tends to be a bit flinty but this i felt allowed me to get away with a very high xtal content..which i did

k

Back