Need Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuchambers

Reaction score
Hi Launceston brewers.
I need some help please. I usually use a blender to crack my grain. It gives me rubbish efficiency about 50% but i'm not too bothered about that.
The problem is I weighed out the grain for my next brew and began the process of blending small amounts however about a quarter of the way through my blender decided to stop working.
I guess what I'm asking is there an all grain brewer in Launceston that wouldn't mind helping me out in getting this grain cracked. I am wanting to pitch this batch onto a yeast cake that is almost ready.

I hope I can get some help here.

Cheers Stu

Got a rolling pin and some large zip-lock bags? Works better than a blender :)

I get 80% using a blender. You're doing it wrong.

My cheap coffee grinder is a better grinder than my good blender. Rolling pins don't work. Got a friend, neighbour, relative with a blender or grinder?

maybe the good efficiency is from all the dust that end up in the boiler

I used to use a coffee grinder. $12 from kmart. used to grind about 70g a go..... It prompted me to finish my mill. Which i keep meaning to take photos of.....

If you can wait until tomorrow PM you can use my mill.
I should be home by 4:30 at the latest.
Will PM my contact details.

commercials do not grind there malt they crush it fine and still have the husks in tact. They dont turn the husks to dust to, Not sure where that info is but seen a mill that has come out of a large brewey and seen the crush that came out of that machine that thay used and it is nothing like what I got out of a grinder.

commercials do not grind there malt they crush it fine and still have the husks in tact. They dont turn the husks to dust to, Not sure where that info is but seen a mill that has come out of a large brewey and seen the crush that came out of that machine that thay used and it is nothing like what I got out of a grinder.

Maybe all the good efficiency is all the dust that end up in the boiler. Whatever the **** that means.

haha keep doing what your doing if your happy I dont care. never seen a massive grinder at a brewery so not sure how you think its the same if they crush and you grind. Its the same to you so thats all that matters :D

I dont care how people brew and what they use as my rig could be disputed but it makes beer I like and I dont give a **** what others think lol. But that was a guess I have BIAB and have MAXI BIAB and have used a grinder and got about 64% max with them so it wasnt my thing dunno what I was doing wrong but it didnt work lol. I get 74% now with my rig so I am happy and not sure what and where people are measuring efficiency as it always seems to be different.

this is totally off topic now! but we have to start some where and if we chose to stay there then thats fine or if you chose to buy a $5000 rig thats fine at the end of the day your brewing beer for you not some one else if you like it then thats all that matters in my eyes. I cant class my beer as the best but I like it and IDGAF what others think, infact if they dont like it more for me :p I question some methods but thats what I think and I had tried a few of them and have failed so to me its finding what you like.

I dont enter comps or anything but I like my beer, it is prob good as when you get better I guess you dont notice it as much so think I may go into a few comps next year not to win or place but to get info on my flaws and where I can improve as I am sure there is alot there I am unaware of lol

Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful replies.
Just got back from Spork's place with 6kg of perfectly crushed grain.
Thanks Spork

this is totally off topic now! but we have to start some where and if we chose to stay there then thats fine or if you chose to buy a $5000 rig thats fine at the end of the day your brewing beer for you not some one else if you like it then thats all that matters in my eyes. I cant class my beer as the best but I like it and IDGAF what others think, infact if they dont like it more for me :p I question some methods but thats what I think and I had tried a few of them and have failed so to me its finding what you like.

I dont enter comps or anything but I like my beer, it is prob good as when you get better I guess you dont notice it as much so think I may go into a few comps next year not to win or place but to get info on my flaws and where I can improve as I am sure there is alot there I am unaware of lol
sorry for the OT... but on one hand you say that "you don't give a ****" what people think about your beer, but then you finish with wanting hear judge's opinions on your beer so that you can learn about your flaws and improve. Kind of contradictory... which is your prerogative, of course.

I love hearing people's HONEST opinion's on my beers. It helps me grow as a brewer, and see my beers from someone else's perspective - which I think is really important, as you can easily don the rose coloured glasses and look favourably on your own beers... especially if you're pissed ;) . Obviously some people's opinions carry a little more weight than others.

Not telling you how you should think by any means - just some of my motivations to brewing.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - bigups to brother Spork for helping a brother out. :)

Back