Need Extract recipe with limited hops available

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dan

Reaction score
G'day all, I'm wanting to chuck a batch down tomorrow, but due to time constraints, the only hops I have are galaxy (and lots of them). I'm guessing my best bet would be a very short boil, but besides that, I'm pretty clueless. Anyone got a good recipe, or any suggestions? The local home brew shop has a very limited supply of hops, but I could probably get my hands on some cascade or Amarillo.

If you like Stone & Wood Pacific Ale I would make something similar

Use enough Galaxy to bitter to around 20-25 IBU's with 30 min boil
Put loads of Galaxy late in the boil
Use half wheat malt & half light malt
us-05 yeast.

Simple recipe but will taste great

Yeah, that'd be tops, and well within my capabilities.... Any ideas on a hop schedule/amounts?

Haven't got access to software as on iPhone, but Galaxy is 14+ AA so you will only need about 10gms @ 30 mins for 20 IBU
I would then throw maybe 20gms @ 5 mins & then as much as you want at flame out
Do a 5L boil with 500gms light DME to have the wort at around 1.040 for best utilisation
Just chuck the rest of your malt in after the 30mins, mix in well, cool as quickly as possible, chuck in fermenter & top up with cold water.
Pitch at 24ish & ferment at 18C

Cheers Stewy, that sounds awesome. My computer shat itself a few days ago, so couldn't access the spreadsheet, and last time I saw my brew book, it was outside with my toddler. I haven't been brewing much lately, so I'm a bit rusty!

Hi, I'm pretty new at this, but very keen! Ive been checking out YouTube vids and reading a lot on this site.
I've been enjoying a mates efforts for the last year or so and now that I've been given a brew kit for Christmas, I'm learning as much as I can.
I've bottled my first brew of Coopers Pale Ale (just the basic kit as per can instruction) and it smelt great when I bottled earlier today!
Ive put in a Black Rock Pale ale with Brew By You Enhancer for my 2nd brew with 15g of Cascade hops steeped for 10 mins and added to the wort.
I used the yeast that came with the Black Rock Tin, and I am a little worried!
7 hours later and the air lock level is still level!
How long should I wait for activity?
Should I pitch more yeast?
I've checked the lid and its tight!
I have another 5g yeast pack that came with some Blonde Lager, but not sure If I should use it or not.
I would prefer to use some US 05 or 04 but dont have any.
Can it wait for another 24 hours until I get some after work tomorrow?
Temp sticker says 24 but my laser thermometer sais 26.7. Still ok for ale yeast right?
Any help appreciated.

Tasspark said:
Hi, I'm pretty new at this, but very keen! Ive been checking out YouTube vids and reading a lot on this site.
I've been enjoying a mates efforts for the last year or so and now that I've been given a brew kit for Christmas, I'm learning as much as I can.
I've bottled my first brew of Coopers Pale Ale (just the basic kit as per can instruction) and it smelt great when I bottled earlier today!
Ive put in a Black Rock Pale ale with Brew By You Enhancer for my 2nd brew with 15g of Cascade hops steeped for 10 mins and added to the wort.
I used the yeast that came with the Black Rock Tin, and I am a little worried!
7 hours later and the air lock level is still level!
How long should I wait for activity?
Should I pitch more yeast?
I've checked the lid and its tight!
I have another 5g yeast pack that came with some Blonde Lager, but not sure If I should use it or not.
I would prefer to use some US 05 or 04 but dont have any.
Can it wait for another 24 hours until I get some after work tomorrow?
Temp sticker says 24 but my laser thermometer sais 26.7. Still ok for ale yeast right?
Any help appreciated.
Do search on airlocks on here and relax, maybe even throw it away and use glad wrap next brew

Oh and try and get those temps down i know its what the instructions recomend but its far to high i dont realy know why they still recomend those temps in the instructions around 18-20c will make a better beer mate

Thanks for the reply!
No krausen! (too early I think)
No activity in 7 hours, no movement in the airlock and I'm fairly certain the lid is tight and sealed! (worried it wont come off later!)
I was a little worried about the yeast I used anyway, the tin came with a plain white 5g packet with just "brewers yeast" written on it.
My first Coppers brew didn't go nuts until about 24 or 36 hours after pitching, making an impressive krausen crust, but before that almost straight away I could see positive CO2 pressure in the airlock.
This one the airlock liquid level is still the same. Im worried the yeast is no good.
Will it hurt to pitch more yeast now?
Would the spare yeast pack I have from a blond lager be more than likely a ale yeast? could I just pitch this anyway?
Could I get away with waiting till tomorow arvo and pitch some US-05

Thoughts?

By the way, My shed temp sits somewhere between 20 and 26 in summer, on a hot day the concrete floor is about 20/21 (so if its hot I put the FV on the floor covered with a wet towel)
I pitched the yeast for this brew today when i cooled the wort down to 26C (I had to go, I was chasing the clock)
When I checked later with my laser thermometer I noticed the discrepancy with the sticker thermometer and the wort was about 26 or 27.
Maybe the sticker lies and I pitched to hot and killed the yeast?

Dude, calm down. Sleep on it and I am sure you will find some movement in the morning. The yeast need some time to get busy, just like your coopers brew beforehand.

Dae Tripper said:
Dude, calm down. Sleep on it and I am sure you will find some movement in the morning. The yeast need some time to get busy, just like your coopers brew beforehand.
Thanks, I feel a but stupid now!
I got home after work (with extra yeast in case) and as you said, I should have just waited!
It's glugging away nicely!
The smell from the airlock raised an eyebrow too!
I think it might be pretty good for a basic brew!

Dae Tripper said:
Glad I could help :)
Tell me, whats the deal with the different sized yeast packets?
Most of the packets that come with the tins are 7g, some are 5g, but the better ones, such as a Safale US-04/05 are 11.5g
Is it better to bin the included yeast and use the better brands as a new brewer, or just use them and experiment with hops/malts etc...?

US-05 will highlight your hop flavours nicely.

The yeast included with a kit is likely to be the smallest amount they thought would work, not the amount to produce the best beer. In addition, you don't know how it was stored. If you go to your LHBS, you'll find yeast that has been looked after. The ones you buy separately are larger so that you get a good does of yeast in to your wort. Under pitching (putting in too small an amount of yeast) can result in a less desirable flavour profile. Though just to prove that most rules have exceptions, there are certain beer styles (some of the Belgians) where brewers will deliberately under pitch (compared to the usual notion of how much is best) to encourage the formation of certain flavours associated with the style.

Using US-05 or S-04 will be great for most straightforward kit ales. As you get more experienced, you will probably want to explore more of the wide palette of styles out there, and then there are a few more dry yeast options (T-58 is a favourite of mine), but the liquid yeast strains offer a much greater range.

2c,
T.

drtomc said:
The yeast included with a kit is likely to be the smallest amount they thought would work, not the amount to produce the best beer. In addition, you don't know how it was stored. If you go to your LHBS, you'll find yeast that has been looked after. The ones you buy separately are larger so that you get a good does of yeast in to your wort. Under pitching (putting in too small an amount of yeast) can result in a less desirable flavour profile. Though just to prove that most rules have exceptions, there are certain beer styles (some of the Belgians) where brewers will deliberately under pitch (compared to the usual notion of how much is best) to encourage the formation of certain flavours associated with the style.

Using US-05 or S-04 will be great for most straightforward kit ales. As you get more experienced, you will probably want to explore more of the wide palette of styles out there, and then there are a few more dry yeast options (T-58 is a favourite of mine), but the liquid yeast strains offer a much greater range.

2c,
T.
So would it be ok to say, use a US-04 on one kit, save the 5g supplied with the tin and use double next time with two 5g packets? (waste not want not!)
Or is it just better to use the better yeast all the time?
What brand is the T-58 yeast you mentioned?
I will look out for it and give it a go.

A guy at the local brew store here told me to throw the kit yeast in when the boil started, as it would work as a nutrient for the better yeast - anyone have thoughts on that? The brew turned out really good too!

Tasspark - please update this thread and let us know how it goes. I'm having a crack at it this weekend. Hopefully it's a good brew!

Cheers

Tasspark said:
So would it be ok to say, use a US-04 on one kit, save the 5g supplied with the tin and use double next time with two 5g packets? (waste not want not!)
Or is it just better to use the better yeast all the time?
What brand is the T-58 yeast you mentioned?
I will look out for it and give it a go.
You will probably answer your own question re using better yeast once you taste the results!

Xander said:
A guy at the local brew store here told me to throw the kit yeast in when the boil started, as it would work as a nutrient for the better yeast - anyone have thoughts on that? The brew turned out really good too!

Tasspark - please update this thread and let us know how it goes. I'm having a crack at it this weekend. Hopefully it's a good brew!

Cheers
I assume your referring to the Black rock pale Ale with 15g of cascade finishing hops.
It is still glugging away and I cant resist a smell of the airlock. I swear I can smell the hops.
By smell alone, I'd say its going to taste pretty good.
Time will tell. I will update this once i bottle and again in three or four weeks when I try one.

Latest posts

Back