Need ball valves on gas lines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm getting a kegerator soon and I'm thinking about how I want it set up. I want to be able to serve two beers at different carbonation levels, so am going to use two regulators set up as follows:

CO2 cylinder ---- regulator ---- regulator
| |
ball valve ball valve
| |
NRV NRV
| |
keg keg

Pretty much the same as this.

Do I need the ball valves? If I only have one keg hooked up can I trust the other regulator to completely stop the flow of gas when it's turned all the way off, or should I keep the ball valves in to be safe?

Cheers.

I have one regulator but serve at different pressures. My reg > nrv > manifold, the manifold has 4 ball valves, I just shut the others when playing with a single keg.

Note though that I always keep mine off and only turn on to charge up. I ve read too many peoples tales of losing full bottles to this and that cockup

Thanks guys.

Yob, that makes sense once it's carbonated and you're just serving. How often do you need to charge them up again? To carb, do you just give it a blast, wait for it to absorb, then blast again and repeat a few times?

Cheers.

Depends on how much you're drinking, if having a session, once an hour? More often when it's full

I gas to ~30 psi and blast once a day for a few days back to 30.

Yob said:
I have one regulator but serve at different pressures. My reg > nrv > manifold, the manifold has 4 ball valves, I just shut the others when playing with a single keg.

Note though that I always keep mine off and only turn on to charge up. I ve read too many peoples tales of losing full bottles to this and that cockup
Yep.... Agree totally. Lost a 6.5kg bottle in 2 weeks due to a faulty manifold from KK. Now only on when carbonating and dispensing. Also is a good check to make sure nothing else is leaking or faulty.

Latest posts

Back