Need Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
Guys .. I have tried something new for me and that is the use of late additions of adjusts / fermentables such as honey /brown sugar ... the wort is looking ok .. the krausen again ok .. drops and rises with new additions .. my thoughts are is there any potential for wild yeasts to have hit my wort whilst the glad wrap has been off / or when the honey has been added ( I like to think that the mega billion yeast cells used out of an Irish yeast smack pack would out number any wild yeasts ... BTW this is a 9.6% darkish ale / stoutish kinda beer ....

I am open to advise be it constructive ... would like to avoid the b/s though ... if necessary I can post the grain bill etc ... but a basic idea over a 45lt trial version is 13 kg harris otter - 1 kg red wood honey, 500gm brown sugar and 1 kg 120 crystal...

Saaz pellets and Cascade flowers as hops ...

Short answer, yes.

Anytime you open the FV and throw stuff in you take that risk. Honey is pretty safe though if you are really worried about it you can pasteurize it in the future.

I would say that some wild yeas are getting in everytime you open the fermenter and air gets inside.
I would also say that every not pasteurized addition (sugar, honey etc) will bring in a load of microorganisms, both yeast and bacteria (this will be much higher load than what gets in with the air).

Here you go, not a risk but sure thing.

On the other hand wort that has been fermenting for a while has already an established yeast population so large that it will very difficult to infect.
In your particular case you are also pushing into higer alcohol content zone (above 8%) where preservative action of alcohol really comes into play.

So I would say overall not much to worry about.

Honey is crawling with microorganisms, they're only inactive because of its extreme concentration. Once you dilute the honey they activate.

Solution is to pasteurize the honey first

The likelihood of infection decreases with the amount of fermentation that's happened.

What you want to try to avoid when you're opening a fermenter is letting oxygen in there. It's not a bad idea when you open it up and put stuff in there to give it a bit of a rouse making a bunch of CO2 fizz up and out, and drive out the oxygen that you let in.

Latest posts

Back