Need Advice On Gear For 2/3v Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Back to ask another question.

Need some recommendations on what to do with the following gear for a 2/3v AG setup.

I have a 46L esky, mashmaster thermometer, so i think im organised for the mash tun
- Any suggestions on recommended manifold? (copper tubing, toilet water hose mesh thing or false bottom?)

Main question is what you recommend for my kettle.
I have a converted 50L keg i have used once in the past with a 3 ring burner but was pretty unhappy with the setup, too long to boil, lot of heat lost from the burner i feel, limiting to having to brew outside, terrible for windy days.
I also have just bought a 40L crab cooper for rays, was thinking of using that with the 3 ring, but now think I'll go electric.

Would you guys use the 50L Keg with or 40L pot for electric (SINGLE BATCHES ONLY).
Also would you want any sort of burst fire controller for the electric element or would it need constant full power for a rolling boil with 25-30 odd litres of water?

Also with the likes of - http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853, do you need to buy a RCD safety device like they recommend for a handheld heater?

I also have a couple of stc 1000 temp controllers, also another 50L keg.

So I guess im asking... If you had 2 x 50L Kegs, 1 x 40L pot, and the bits and pieces listed, How would you set youself up?
Also I have access to another 50L keg. So maybe one of these fancy 3 x 50L keg setups on a stand i keep seeing on the forums? :p

Any recommendations would be a great help. Just wanna get myself setup properly this time!

Thanks in advance

I have a 46L esky, mashmaster thermometer, so i think im organised for the mash tun
- Any suggestions on recommended manifold? (copper tubing, toilet water hose mesh thing or false bottom?)
A decent false bottom is probably the 'best' but also most expensive option.
If you're only ever going to batch sparge the SS water hose mesh works very well, but if you plan to fly-sparge you might like to make yourself a copper tube manifold.
So I guess im asking... If you had 2 x 50L Kegs, 1 x 40L pot, and the bits and pieces listed, How would you set youself up?
Also I have access to another 50L keg. So maybe one of these fancy 3 x 50L keg setups on a stand i keep seeing on the forums? :p
Keg or pot for HLT, using one of the SS elements you linked (or two if you're impatient).
Esky is fine for mashtun, unless you wanted to setup another keg for that and go all stainless - which some people would say is the 'right' way to do it all.
Keg for your boiler, heat it either via the SS elements or one of the over-the-top portable type elements (or 2 SS elements, or 1 SS element and 1 portable).

Personally I'd have 3 x 50L SS kegs as your 3V setup. All electric.
HLT 50L SS - 1x2200w fixed element with thermoprobe for the stc-1000.
Mash Tun 50L SS - SS false bottom with thermoprobe for stc-1000
Kettle 50L SS - 2x2200w fixed elements and an SS hop blocker and pickup tube.
Needless to say... 3piece SS ballvalves all round and all plumbing via silicone hoses.

You might also consider an over the side element in lieu of the second element in the kettle. That would allow you to do step mashes pretty easily. But I like the simplicity of having everything fixed in place. But if you've got your burner already, it would be good enough for direct firing your mash tun (whilst stirring)

Thanks for the replies,

With regards to the thermoprobe you mention, do you mean thermowell?
I have an stc1000 and am wondering how you mount the probe in a thermowell,
do you have to remove all the plastic from around the sensor?

Also craftbrewer is out of 2200w elements, beerbelly is out of thermowells.... Where else do you recommend I buy the gear?

Thanks heaps

Thanks for the replies,

With regards to the thermoprobe you mention, do you mean thermowell?
I have an stc1000 and am wondering how you mount the probe in a thermowell,
do you have to remove all the plastic from around the sensor?

Also craftbrewer is out of 2200w elements, beerbelly is out of thermowells.... Where else do you recommend I buy the gear?

Thanks heaps

yeah sorry that's what i meant... a thermowell. I just stick the probe into the thermowell and keep it in place with a bit of tape or blu-tak to stop it falling out. Ghetto solution but you could just cut up a little bit of silicone and shove it there to keep it in place.

I'm sure if you contacted Ross he'd give you the heads up for when he expects more stock. I think keg king and ebay also do the elements, if you wanted them ASAP.

I'd also recommend getting at least 1 sight guage kit. Few options on this site in the US. 1 for the HLT, then maybe also one for the kettle... whilst not strictly necessary (especially on the kettle) they are very handy for monitoring your volumes.

Back