Need Advice On Counter Flow Chiller Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
While ago I picked up a half roll (approx 9 m) of 3/8 copper with the intention to make a counter flow chiller

I am hunting for the easiest/cheapest way to make the fittings.

I nearly fell over at the cost of getting all the bits to solder the joins (torch, solder, flux) just for a one off job that I will probably never need again.

So then I started looking at compression fittings. bunnings don't stock 3/8 fittings at all.

Any ideas on how to do it without buying tools I don't really need.

Or should I just make an immersion chiller

Antelco%20Tee%204.5%20mm%20Barb.jpg

pass the 3/8th through one of these across the T (find one with a larger bore than 3/8th to allow water flow)

put a short bit garden hose on onside of T over copper and clamp on to seal on the "wort in" end leaving some copper sticking out to attach wort line
feed garden hose over 3/8th from other end and place on another T and repeat "clamp seal"
use hose off the other bit to have cooling water in and out
use silicon hose and clamps to attach copper to your brewery

see diagram :lol: :D
edit = forgot to label silver lines as "clamps"

pipe.jpg

Antelco%20Tee%204.5%20mm%20Barb.jpg

pass the 3/8th through one of these across the T (find one with a larger bore than 3/8th to allow water flow)

put a short bit garden hose on onside of T over copper and clamp on to seal on the "wort in" end leaving some copper sticking out to attach wort line
feed garden hose over 3/8th from other end and place on another T and repeat "clamp seal"
use hose off the other bit to have cooling water in and out
use silicon hose and clamps to attach copper to your brewery

see diagram :lol: :D
edit = forgot to label silver lines as "clamps"

Thanks maheel ~ logs like the perfect solution. I assume I'll find this in the garden irrigation section at bunnings.

Love the high tech schematic diagram.
:D

yeah bunnings in the irrigation section or other irrigation type shop
they mostly have two sizes (but a few brands) so have a look around and cut of a little 3/8th to take with you

you might be able to use a brass one and file off the threads and use hose clamps
or even fill the threads with plumbing tape before you put on the hose and clamp ?
might require large cooling hose but...

Some time ago there was a set up available that was made up from compression fittings.
It allowed you to use a garden hose with a 3/8 copper pipe inside it.
A couple of brewing shops in Adelaide sold them, one I can recall was Goliath brewing on Brighton Road which unfortunately has sinced closed its doors.
Someone on here may have some detail as to the fittings and may read this.
Those cfwc's work really well with no blocking up with hop and boil debris.
Good luck with your build.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back