Need A New Drinking Partner...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Ok so me drinkin' partner ride on has finally carked it. The "Hydrostatic" drive has shyte itself and either needs to be rebuilt and replaced which will cost me around $2500. It was a King Cat which has served me well but I have also had a Toro which wasn't much chop. Frankly, both just haven't been up the the task as I live on quite a steep bit of land, mainly the river bank end of the block, that's just over an acre. Plus I mow Dad's place which is about 3 acres as he is now getting on and has been afflicted with emphysema. So thru summer I spend most of my weekends mowing and cooling down with an ice cold HB.

I want to buy new as I am getting to long in the tooth myself to fartass around with someone else's problem. Plus the kids start at nippers next week which only leaves me Saturdi's to chop the lawn so reliability is a must.

Anyways, anyone wanna recommend a brand of mower to look for? MUST HAVE A SUBBIE HOLDER!!!

Our groundsman uses a Kobota, it was bought new about seven years ago if my memory serves me right. About the only thing they seem to do to it is change the blades.

Gavo.

I'll ask some questions about it. I do usually see any maintenance as they tend to do it in my centre.

Gavo.

:icon_offtopic: Can't help you with the mower problem Chap Chap & sorry to hear about Mark :( but as an old clubbie interested in knowing what South Coast SLSC the kids have joined?
Are you going to do the right thing & go for your bronze? :)

TP

PS --- From my limited experience there's nothing wrong with Kobotas.

:icon_offtopic: Can't help you with the mower problem Chap Chap & sorry to hear about Mark but as an old clubbie interested in knowing what South Coast SLSC the kids have joined?
Are you going to do the right thing & go for your bronze?

TP

PS --- From my limited experience there's nothing wrong with Kobotas.

We are thinking Miami Pete. Sign on next weekend. Can't wait for them to start, I reckon I'm more excited than they are LOL :lol: . Ahhh Sunday's at the beach all summer B)

I'm trying to convince Dad to come to Batz but with little success so far. :(

+1 for the Kubota. My folks live on 50 acres, and the old man has been running one for at least 15 years! Done all sorts of duty from the mowing, to hauling firewood, to bush bashing in my younger days ;). Its even been driven into the creek! Can't say I've ever seen Dad even service it, and never missed a beat.

Going on the Hops thread I would not buy any thing Chinese :rolleyes:
Go to one of those USA sites where they race the suckers and pick a quick one, usually red .
Sorry that would be a Chinese one. :lol:
GB

Go to one of those USA sites where they race the suckers and pick a quick one, usually red .
GB

:lol:

Sell_Electric_ride_on_lawn_mower.jpg

Yep nuthin' wrong with this chinese model Nev.

Hey chappo

i have a huski and love it. While i was building on acreage and renting on acreage it mowed up to 3 acres regularly over the course of a few years (built and sold then built again). Now on 1 1/4 acre and handles it piece of piss. I have the kohler engine lt97, my mate has the kawasaki engine one and he's on 3 acres and loves it.

Cheers matt

Hey chappo

i have a huski and love it. While i was building on acreage and renting on acreage it mowed up to 3 acres regularly over the course of a few years (built and sold then built again). Now on 1 1/4 acre and handles it piece of piss. I have the kohler engine lt97, my mate has the kawasaki engine one and he's on 3 acres and loves it.

Cheers matt

Mate I've got a Huski as well with the Kohler motor and it goes well. When I had to replace an older one some time back I found the biggest drama was the catcher set up and they aren't cheap either $500 + Some meant double handling as they were a dump out the back onto the ground arrangment then you would have to pick up into the ute for disposal elsewhere etc.
Of coarse if your not using a ride on around the house you want need a catcher but I found it indespensable.
I had a look in the Huski dealership last week It appears they arn't using Kohler engines now. I would go with a Honda over a Briggs & Strat. Can't say on the Kwaka.
I also found having an easy reverse option is great Not all models are reverse user freindly.
Don't rush the purchase. Investigate all options and shop around the price dif between dealers can be significant.
Good luck. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Oh yeh, It has a drink holder. Grass in your glass all the time. At least its fresh.

gday chap, we're on 5 acres here and have had a John Deere for 18 months, it got put to the test a bit at first because in between the old Victa carking it and getting the new JD, the grass grew tall enough to hide the fukarwee tribe, getting that down it never missed a beat, servicing is a piece of piss, easy removal of the cutting deck etc..

Dave

C'mon, Chappo. I thought you would have had this covered, mate!

goatlawn.jpg

I couldn't resist. :icon_cheers:

GB

One major problem with the red one chappo.....Where's the bloody stubbie holder?

one of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cox or Rover... and get a 16hp+ job... dont **** around with the yank and euro shit.. B)

Parts are easy and cheap....

and get one with swing back blades.. solid 1 peice blades are shit... trust me

Good to see you are still alive chap,
I bought a Jon-sered with a Koler moter apparently it comes out of the same factory as huski mine was hydro static and served me 4 years on a 1 1/2 acres ,It was a 1000 bucks cheaper than the husky for the same mower but without the name I think it was 3200,my sister has it now and never touches it .
I will say the koler it good because of the oil filter on it like a car clean oil happy motor I say.

My old man has the 0 turn, deck on the front jonsered and it spits belts a fair bit I had not done 1 but his is fun to drive, same as huski as well.

savy

Latest posts

Back