• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Nebuchadnezza Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a couple of 'Nebuchadnezza' champagne bottles they hold fifteen litres of beer each ,that two a batch that will save me stuffing around with all that bottling lark .

No joking I want them for a charity thing I am doing !!

Pumpy

Pumpy - you have set yourself quite a task here methinks - but seeing it is in the name of a good cause may the gods go with you:

Unfortunately i have never seen them in a wine/home brew shop but...

depending on where you live - it would probably be worthwhile approaching some of the big wine restaurants in the capital cities they may well [particularly at this time of the year] have had big dinners where these kinds of bottles are used then discarded - esp for charity they may well be willing to hand them over in melbourne i would suggest walter's,langton's or the lovely jimmy watson's where the pyssedas mob have spent far too much money from their earliest uni days

but A WORD OF CAUTION remember that most wine is flat [don't think i have ever seen champagne in a bottle that size] and that when pressurised at the very least the cork will need a deal of restraining - i would ultimately be very careful with this project

let us know how you go - and what kind of charity you are assisting!

Thanks PHI ,
Your right it is proving difficult to find ,
I was trying to help a local school .
Some one must have some somewhere ,I wil keeep trying.
Pumpy

Completely useless bit of info I found Googling

In any case, a 1.5-meter-tall sherry bottle was blown in Staffordshire, England, in 1958. It holds about 26 gallons or a little over 6 1/2 Nebuchadnezzars. They decided to call it an Adelaide. Twenty six gallons of wine would weigh around 220 pounds (not including all that glass, of course).

Now that would be an impressive bottle!

More useless info: names sizes & history...dig the names, boy these champagne guys get fancy, I thought we were being big & clever using green bottles for cider & brown for beer. :rolleyes:

Jereboam (4 bottles) 3 litres
Jeroboam (actually Jeroboam II), was the King of Israel during the year of Rome's founding (753 BC)

Rehoboam (6 bottles) 4.5 litres
A son of Solomon, Rehoboam (meaning "the clan is enlarged" according to Willard Espy) became king of Judah in 933 BC.

Methuselah (8 bottles) 6 litres
Methuselah was an antediluvian patriarch described in the Old Testament as having lived 969 years and whose name is synonymous with great age. He may well have evolved from a character of earlier Sumerian legend who lived for 65,000 years.

Salmanazar (12 bottles) 9 litres
Shalmaneser (alternatively spelled Salmanazar) was an Assyrian monarch who reigned around 1250 BC.

Balthazar(16 bottles) 12 litres
Balthazar ("King of Treasures") is the traditional name of one of the Three Wise Men, the other two being Melchior ("King of Light") and Gaspar ("The White One"). Many scholars nowadays tend to characterize the trio not as kings but rather as Zoroastrian priests, while others speculate that at least one of them was a king -- namely Azes II of Bactria who reigned from 35 BC to 10 AD. Whatever their occupations, legend and German tourist brochures have it that the Three Wise Men -- or at the very least their skulls -- lie buried in a golden shrine at Cologne Cathedral.

Nabuchadnezzar (20 bottles) 15 litres
Nebuchadnezzar, originally nabu-kudurri-usur meaning "Nabu protect the boundary," became King of the Chaldean Empire in 604 BC. He was actually the second Nebuchadnezzar; a less celebrated Nebuchadnezzar I preceded him by 500 years.

Back