Nearly Pitched My Yeast At 34... What To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edak

BrauShnizzleMyNizzle
Reaction score
I just opened up a pack of wb06 yeast (safbrew) and hydrated it slightly in the bottom of my extract can. I filled up my fermenter with my indregients and I expected it to be at about 26 degrees, but just before I pitched i double checked and saw it was at 36.

I didn't pitch but I have this yeast in a can here now and it's ready to go, but my fermenter needs cooling...

I put the fermenter in my ferm fridge and it will cool very slowly in there, so when should I pitch this?

Is it a bad thing that there may be too much good stuff left in the can for my yeast? There were dregs in the can which is making them happy at the moment but is it possibly too much?

What do do??

Cheers.

Clingwrap the mouth of the can and sit it in the fridge with the fermenter and let it cool down same as the wort. Pitch when all is cool.

It is possible that there are too many sugars left in the can, but that would depend on how much there was and how much water you added - it's not something one can guess across the Internet.

I'd just add a bit more cooled-boiled-water to the can, and stick it in the fermenting fridge and simply pitch it when your wort is at the right temp.

thanks guys, I am afraid that there were too many sugars in there and this is a brew that will require some serious yeast action. I think that with so much sugar that it would have exhausted the yeasties..

Have actually just gone with a whole new pack of yeast, just to be safe... Will pitch it when in mid-low 20's and then brew at 17-18

Thanks

Latest posts

Back