Nearly Brewing Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Cube is the word that was used in the brewshop to describe the plastic jerry cans. Maybe my use of the word is wrong. In any case I dont want to drill them so I think I will need to persuade SWMBO that as a family we really need 2 fermenters. "

You can get a cheap jerry from bunnings or similar with a tap already fitted. These are half the price of a new fermenter and work just as well. You may even already have one if you're into camping.

They are a little harder to clean but they don't get as grubby as the primary. As GSR says, easy to fit an airlock on top and just use it as a secondary instead of racking back into the primary (less cleaning, time, effort, energy, hassle, risk of infection/oxidisation).

Then you can rack back into your primary to bulk prime at bottling time just as the good lord intended.

i agree guys.i was in a dilemma awhile back and needed a secondary so bought a cube drilled a hole in lid fitted grommet and airlock and i was away.ive since bought a proper secondary fermenter so my stand by is used either as a secondary or change lids i have a cold conditioning vessel.
way to easy.

cheers
big d B)

just a question guys
can i condition in the cube in a cold part of the house??
as im not allowed any more room in the fridge!

cheers

cant see why not crackers.your in tasmania where its nice and cool this time of the year where as im in the tropics so fridges are a necessity for cold conditioning.pick the coldest place in the house if you can and give it a go.thats the beauty about home brewing.experimentation.

cheers
big d B)

Latest posts

Back