Naturally Carbonated Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
Does anyone o the list prime their kegs?

If so could you share your method please?

Steve

Chiller.

Sometimes I do just for the hell of it all. Same way as bottling (boil with about 500ml of water). Only difference is less sugar per keg. As an example for a Bitter in a 22 litre Corny I use about 80g of sugar and this seems to get around the carbonation I want.

Worst case scenario you can always compensate with your CO2. :beerbang:

Warren -

I bulk prime the 19 litre kegs with 150 gms dextrose dissolved in about a litre of water, simmered for a few minutes, cooled, then added to keg, beer is racked onto this, then the keg is burped and allowed to naturally carbonate.

pint of lager said:
I bulk prime the 19 litre kegs with 150 gms dextrose dissolved in about a litre of water, simmered for a few minutes, cooled, then added to keg, beer is racked onto this, then the keg is burped and allowed to naturally carbonate.
[post="84898"][/post]​
I have only done it once. Treat it like a 19L tallie. Just make sure the hatch seals at low pressure.

yeh i was going to ask the same thing but after priming the keg and filling .how much head space should there be and should i give it a bit of a shake as well

doh :blink:

delboy :beer:

When the keg is burped, the seals are checked and it is left with plenty of pressure in the headspace.

Volume of headspace is the same as normal. The keg is filled to just below the gas diptube.

so should i give it a shake after sealing the keg prior to burping just to release c/o2 into the air or headspace to force the air out when a burp is done in the first instance .silly question but just want to get it right.
or will it oxidize the beer?
delboy

Do not shake your keg prior to burping.

Burping means gassing the keg up with Co2 and then releasing the pressure through the release valve. This is done three or four times, then the keg is repressurized and left somewhere quietly at correct fermentation temperatures so that carbonation occurs (assuming you are naturally carbonating.) Then the keg is moved to a cooler location if you have one. The fridge would be ideal if you have enough fridge space.

Burping flushes most of the oxygen from the headspace, allows you to check for leaks and seals the keg. Oxygen is the enemy of finished beer. Limiting the contact of your finished product with oxygen will extend its long term stability. If you drink the beer almost immediately, this may not be an issue. If you leave the keg for six months before consuming, it is definitely a big issue.

Oxidisation shows up as wet carboard aromas and sherry aromas and is part of the gradual decay in the flavours of your beer.

This is why when racking beers, people take great care to transfer to a container with minimal headspace, it is done carefully with minimal splashing and a racking tube is used. When bottling, a bottling tube is used for the same reason. People who fill bottles from their keg tap also take great care and will often use a counter pressure bottle filler which allows the bottle to be flushed with CO2 before filling.

Do not shake your keg prior to burping. There should be no need to shake your keg if you have used a priming solution and racked onto it. The priming solution will quickly be mixed into the beer as it is racked into the keg. Shaking your keg prior to burping is one place where oxygen will be introduced into the beer

I do the same as POL, as I am just using a Soda Stream Bottle at the moment to drive the keg. To carbonate with the Soda Stream would use too much gas, I would wear a trail to the local Big W for new bottles all the time.

Back