Naturally Carbing Kegs + Soda Stream To Dispense

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arghonaut

Reaction score
After bottling two double bathes in the last few weeks i am thoroughly sick of the process and investigating my options for kegging. I have been busy reading up on kegging, natural carbing etc on here but have a few questions. The initial budget is very low(around $200), but i can progressivly add to it. The plan to get started is to share my temp controlled chest freezer between fermenting, crash chilling and storing kegs. I tend to buy a bunch of ingredients in buk, brew like mad for 6 - 8 weeks, then brew nothing for 4-6 months. In the times the freezer is at fermenting temps, i can drink from bottles. Longer term i will get a dedicated chest freezer.

A Co2 bottle and force carbing is out of the budget, so looking to naturally carb and dispense using a soda stream using a bronco tap directly from the freezer.

What is the minimum i need to buy to get this happening? What i have gathered so far:

1 19L keg $70
1 Regulator ~$100
1 sodastream adaptor $39
1 Bronco tap with 1m hose $14.90

Allready have some soda stream bottles. What other bits and pieces are needed?

Would there be any negative side effects to kegs with various levels of beer being raised to fermenting temps and then chilled again occasionally?

After bottling two double bathes in the last few weeks i am thoroughly sick of the process and investigating my options for kegging. I have been busy reading up on kegging, natural carbing etc on here but have a few questions. The initial budget is very low(around $200), but i can progressivly add to it. The plan to get started is to share my temp controlled chest freezer between fermenting, crash chilling and storing kegs. I tend to buy a bunch of ingredients in buk, brew like mad for 6 - 8 weeks, then brew nothing for 4-6 months. In the times the freezer is at fermenting temps, i can drink from bottles. Longer term i will get a dedicated chest freezer.

A Co2 bottle and force carbing is out of the budget, so looking to naturally carb and dispense using a soda stream using a bronco tap directly from the freezer.

What is the minimum i need to buy to get this happening? What i have gathered so far:

1 19L keg $70
1 Regulator ~$100
1 sodastream adaptor $39
1 Bronco tap with 1m hose $14.90

Allready have some soda stream bottles. What other bits and pieces are needed?

Would there be any negative side effects to kegs with various levels of beer being raised to fermenting temps and then chilled again occasionally?

My tip would be to keep an eye out for a free fridge to do your fermenting in.... These comeup fairly often on this site (I Picked up one the other day).

If you are in the Brisbane area I would be only too happy to pass the fridge onto yourself... I already have a few and this was just going to be an additional fermenting fridge.

My tip would be to keep an eye out for a free fridge to do your fermenting in.... These comeup fairly often on this site (I Picked up one the other day).

If you are in the Brisbane area I would be only too happy to pass the fridge onto yourself... I already have a few and this was just going to be an additional fermenting fridge.

Thanks for the offer but im on the mid north coast NSW.

Plus I prefer a chest freezer as they are usually more energy efficient, i have a stand alone solar system so have to be a bit careful with my usage. I picked up my current 450 litre one for $50, it uses alot less then my fridge, they tend to have better insulation, and opening the lid doesnt result in cold air pouring out. I'll just be patient and get another one when a good deal comes up.

You also need a gas and a beer quick disconnect. If you decide to take the MFL rather than the barb ones, you also need a female adapter.

You also need a gas and a beer quick disconnect. If you decide to take the MFL rather than the barb ones, you also need a female adapter.
You get a bunch of yeast sediment in the bottom of the keg when you natural carb just like when you bottle. Except it squirts out first. *I think you need to purge the air and pop the seals with a little CO2 when nat carbing also.

1/ A NRV is not necessary but highly recommended. Personally, I think you're silly if you don't have one.
2/ You also need a gas line.... obviously you have your beer line sorted with the bronco tap.
3/ A temp controller of some sort.

Ok thanks for the replies, added in the quick disconnects and a NRV (had to look up what that stood for!). Allready have a stc-1000 on the freezer for temp control.

To spread out the costs, would it be possible to buy just the two kegs, get them filled and whilst they are conditioning purchase the regulator etc? Would you need any of the other bits at first to fill them with beer and naturally carb?

I would get 2 corny kegs (as cheap as $60), but budget $70ea

Basic chinese regulator $50 incl shipping from various sellers on evilbay

You'll need some gas/beer line ($1/m) ...plus at a minimum 1 gas disconnect and 2 beer outs and picnic taps

Don't discount the option of natural carbing plus dispensing with a bike CO2 charger and the bulbs

I would get 2 corny kegs (as cheap as $60), but budget $70ea

Basic chinese regulator $50 incl shipping from various sellers on evilbay

You'll need some gas/beer line ($1/m) ...plus at a minimum 1 gas disconnect and 2 beer outs and picnic taps

Don't discount the option of natural carbing plus dispensing with a bike CO2 charger and the bulbs
I have no idea how long a sodastream canister would last on a corney setup. Your freezer would run more too with opening more often.

I've had my main system shut down due to house renovations for the last 4 months and had to improvise a keg setup.

It works quite well to natually ferment from a keg and top up with a party gas cylinder.

So, just add sugar to keg wait for about 1 hour and burp it, o2 gone and you are away.
Let it ferment out for a week, top up when required with one or two quick squirts from a party keg dispenser.

You need a beer out disconnect, beer line, broco tap and a party keg dispenser.

Cheapest possible solution. It's what I'm doing currently as she won't let me drill a hole for gas line in the brand new fridge (yet).

You should be able to dispense a corny with 2 x 16g bulbs... which are cheap in bulk

Back