Natural Gas Regulator/plumbing Advice Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I recently picked up a Rambo 23 Jet Mongolian Natural Gas Burner rated at 100 mj/hr:
P1010129.JPG

I contacted Auscrown directly asking which NG regulator would be suitable for this burner. They suggested the Maxitrol Model: RV48LM (165mj/hr) which I've had a hard time tracking down. Today, I contacted Barbecues Plus (who recommended a 275mj/hr reg) and Barbecues Galore (recommended 250mj/hr). I went with the 250mj/hr unit as is closer to the Mongolian's rating:

P1010134.JPG

If any plumbers are on board, or others who have been down this avenue, can you tell me:

1.) What exactly does a regulator do?
2.) Is having a rating of 250mj/hr (higher than the burner's rating of 100mj/hr) OK? Both shops seemed to think this was absolutely fine, but I suppose I'm looking for furter reassurance as I don't fully understand mj, etc.

My brother in law is a plumber and will be fitting all of this for me but noted he's never done a job like this. I was thinking we'd T off from the gas going into my hot water heater (just before the hot water heater reg) shooting the line to the back of the house secured high just below the gully traps, run back down the wall to burner height level where I'd install some sort of hook up point which attaches to a flexible hose (?) to the regulator (closest to the appliance) to the burner, like this:

P1010131.JPG

Is this the best way to do it? I'd like to be able to tear down the burner when not in use, and don't want a permanent hard-installation. The bayonets sold at BBQ Galore were designed for a pipe shooting out of the wall, not functional for my setup where the line will be external, or flush with the wall.

Is an inline emergency shutoff (or shutoff when not in use) valve recommended? Would we put this in the back/ closest to the burner, or in the house just after the T?

Lots of questions. Any advice is appreciated. I want to assure you again, I'm not installing this myself.. just want to make sure my brother in law is straight before he goes into it.

Thanks,
reVox

Hi Revox,

I recently picked up a Rambo 23 Jet Mongolian Natural Gas Burner rated at 100 mj/hr:
that means your Mongolian Gas Burner consumes maximum 100mj/hr, so the gas regulator should be able to deliver at least that amount of gas.
It would be better, if the gas regulator can deliver more than the burner consumes, so a regulator for 165mj/hr would be fine.

1.) What exactly does a regulator do?
a regulator keeps the gas pressure constant. For example, if the gas pressure in the gas bottle or in the supporting line in the house varies, depends on the temp, the regulator decreases the pressure to a defined value. Anyway the gas pressure in the bottle or supporting line is much higher than your burner allows, the regulator will set the pressure to the right value the burner needs, thats what the regulator is for.

2.) Is having a rating of 250mj/hr (higher than the burner's rating of 100mj/hr) OK? Both shops seemed to think this was absolutely fine, but I suppose I'm looking for furter reassurance as I don't fully understand mj, etc.

as I wrote, as long as the regulator can deliver more than the burner consumes, everything is fine. The burner will take as much gas as it needs, not more.
Its similar to an electronical fuse, as long as your equipment sucks less power than the fuse allows, everything is fine, only if youre gonna take more, there will be a problem.

My brother in law is a plumber and will be fitting all of this for me but noted he's never done a job like this. I was thinking we'd T off from the gas going into my hot water heater (just before the hot water heater reg) shooting the line to the back of the house secured high just below the gully traps, run back down the wall to burner height level where I'd install some sort of hook up point which attaches to a flexible hose (?) to the regulator (closest to the appliance) to the burner,
Is this the best way to do it? I'd like to be able to tear down the burner when not in use, and don't want a permanent hard-installation. The bayonets sold at BBQ Galore were designed for a pipe shooting out of the wall, not functional for my setup where the line will be external, or flush with the wall.

Is an inline emergency shutoff (or shutoff when not in use) valve recommended? Would we put this in the back/ closest to the burner, or in the house just after the T?
hmmm....basically I would mount a shut-off valve at the house. After youve used the equipment, you could shut off the gas line.
The gas regulator Id mount directly behind that shut-off valve, so your gas hoses are not under high pressure, only low gas pressure will be in your hoses.
This way you wouldnt need any emergency shut-off valve as far as youre not brewing inside the house.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Thank you kindly, Zwickel!

My brother in law was around the house today and we got everything installed, no sweat. I appreciate your explaining things simply as it put my mind at ease and I had a better idea of what was going on.

Fired up the mongolian on NG and it's got plenty of kick! Bro in law was amazed at the amount of heat it put out.

Thanks again mate :icon_chickcheers:

reVox

Back