Natural Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just as I thought... Only Lion Nathan branded beers are suggested.

Marketing = scum.

Edit: I love how they say in the "Brewer's Memo" that they are happy to discuss natural beer with others that feel the same way and conveniently don't provide means of communication.

To be fair, they do actually have a contact link at the bottom of the page. The contact page has several phone numbers and an email address: [email protected].

I'm sure they'd be interested in all our cynical questions.

Andrew

I agree this stuff cracks me up too.

Unfortunately the general population will usually believe anything they see on tv...

Good thing us Home Brewers know better.

I can vouch that I certainly steer clear of all the 'natural beers' on the website noted.

I'm surprised noone in this thread has mentioned the 'americanisation' in the ad campaign, yet....

Completely off topic, but are other companies such as ALDI following the marketing practices of Lion Nathan?

From today's shop:

:D :D :D

chops1.JPGchops2.JPG

I agree this stuff cracks me up too.

Unfortunately the general population will usually believe anything they see on tv...

Good thing us Home Brewers know better.

I can vouch that I certainly steer clear of all the 'natural beers' on the website noted.

Not that i'm a fan, however I do fail to see how they are lying? They are using no additives, they are using hop pellets (even thou there is a shortage, very strange). So they are brewing beer naturally using natural ingredients - which also in turn they are annoucing that they didn't use to use "natural means".

Bribie, that is gold.....

On the topic of those adds, I thought to myself, "Cool a green and natural microbrew has popped up"

Was very disappointed when I followed the link...

Not that i'm a fan, however I do fail to see how they are lying? They are using no additives, they are using hop pellets (even thou there is a shortage, very strange). So they are brewing beer naturally using natural ingredients - which also in turn they are annoucing that they didn't use to use "natural means".

To my mind they are not so much "lying", but simply blowing there own trumpets about doing something that any decent brewer would be doing anyway. It's rather like the labels on vegetable oil in the supermarket that say "100% cholesterol free" - of course it is there's no cholesterol in plant products anyway....

The section about "complying brands" is probably the most annoying - the implication is that anything not listed there isn't "natural" (whatever that means). I'm sure they'd be very happy to list the products of all our wonderful micros that comply with the same principles!

I was down at the local bowls club last night and they had a series of beer coasters. I found this one a little amusing. Glad to see they load thier beers with 'natural' cane sugar ;)

coaster.jpg

Don't you just love the quotation marks on "ingredient" ? WTF? :lol:

The way they've written that, I would think the everyday drinker with an inquisitive mind would ask "if there's none left in the beer, why bother going to all the trouble of using 'natural'? Presumably you can use any 100% fermentable and end up with the same result."

Noticed a newer version of this ad on tv last night. Same guy with a log over the shoulder dribbling on about having some 'natural beer' after doing whatever the he*ll he was up to.

I laughed some more, and cracked another HB from the fridge...

Of course we know a lot better on this forum but it's actually frightening, the misconceptions about beer out there amongst the swill consumers. Very common in Qld is the belief that arsenic is added to beer as a preservative, and even up to recently on the Wikepedia page for VB there was a statement written by some clown that VB is chemically produced and a batch can be produced and sent out from the brewery in two days to satisfy demand during heatwaves.

There actually are a few chemically produced beers in Japan. Alcohol taxes are relatively low over there, but are slightly higher for beer then for other forms. Some companies include an "artificially produced" beer in their range, which as it isnt brewed in the same way as beer, technically isnt beer, and can get away with having less tax on it, therefore its really cheap.

Probably worth noting its also terrible, and leaves you with the god of all hangovers :S

Latest posts

Back