Napi-san ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy

Reaction score
Was looking at the ingrediants on bottle of Brewcraft "Keg & line cleaner"..active ingrediant oxygen bleach and sanitizer agent

Looking at bottle on Napi-San..sodium percarbonate, (same ingrediant), and was wondering if using the Napi as a keg & line cleaner would rust my 19L Cornies??

Anyone use Napi-San as a general cleaner for keg setup?

Was looking at the ingrediants on bottle of Brewcraft "Keg & line cleaner"..active ingrediant oxygen bleach and sanitizer agent

Looking at bottle on Napi-San..sodium percarbonate, (same ingrediant), and was wondering if using the Napi as a keg & line cleaner would rust my 19L Cornies??

Anyone use Napi-San as a general cleaner for keg setup?

I use the HomeBrand version to clean most brewing items - kegs, lines, fermenters, filter,....

I mix it up with hot tap water and leave it sit for 24hours, empty then give a rinse with cold water - cleans things up very nicely indeed.

cliffo

I bought a 25kg bag of Sodium Percarbonate, it is the active ingredient in all those napi san type products, and they only contain about 30% if it. The rest is chalt and soda ash and crap like that. Just remember that to activate the oxygenising agent in these products ie the Sodium Per u need to use water at least 60 deg C. Try it your self. If u add boiling water or very hot water to Sod Per it fizzes up like Mentos in a Coke, if its too cold nothing happends.

Steve

Where did you get that from, Steve? Cost?
I started a thread a few weeks ago called "sodium percarbonate bulk buy". I got it for $66 from a chemical place at Sandgate Newcastle. They have an over supply of the stuff. So me and Goathearder went halves in a bag. I think its a little safer than PSR and the Mrs gets to use in for washing so it comes out of the house hold budget not the brewing budget. ;)
Steve

Just a heads up that it is an oxidising agent. Which means you have problems with some metals (mild steel for example) or even on stainless that has a small spot of rust on it - Ive had some near ruined equipment from negligent usage. I'm not too sure about alu either - I have a stainless pot with alu riveted on handles, and I filled it with sodium percarb it gave a pretty funky salty crystally build up on the alu bits - came off no worries, but dont know what repeated exposure might do.

SJW - good price! I think I paid the same amount from the same place, but they were far from over stocked (had one bag left), plus I did a deal on the dodge with a bloke who works there, and chucked in a longy of HB!

Good poimt Sammus, was speaking to some bloke (he's a microbiologist), and he reckons that there are various grades of SS used in the food industry, and even though he reckons sodium percarbonate is better than bleach as an agent to kill bacteria, he mentioned I needed to be using a particular (some code he mentioned..) x grade SS, or use over time use of Percarbonate (Napi) will degrade and rust the SS..

...but I'm assuming due to the nature of the sticky (and corrosive) stuff that CocaCola/Pepsi chucked into the keg in the first place, they probably used even harsher stuff to hygenically clean them in the first place to prevent infection (and cashed up Septic tanks sueing the bum of them for getting a bug)

Seems like the general consensus from members of Napi has been tried/tested, so no more expensive Brewcraft keg/line cleaner for me...cheapest non fragrance Napi! with good rinse of water or a little no-rinse san.

Back