Nag's Head Revisited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

Reaction score
On the 1st friday of the month, the Nag's Head Hotel in Glebe (St John's Rd) has some special brews available. Last month there was an Amber Ale and a Christmas Pudding Stout (by all accounts it really tasted of the pudding????).

So far I think there's about 4 of us intending to go nect month, 5th Sept.

The possibles I'm aware of are Wasabi, Doc, linz & myself.

Who else is game?

Trev

Trev,

The Christmas Pudding Stout was quite unusual, but I could only handle one. Not really a quaffer, but it tasted damn fine!

The Autumn Ale was a real good ole English Ale. Warm(ish), flat and very very tasty. I hope they put on two different beers next time!

I'll be there!

So Friday the 5th of September?

I'm there. I'll see if Nicko will come. What time do festivities kick off? And what prices do we pay for our delights?

It's a good pre-birthday celebrations for us!
Nicko turning 20 on the 9th? I know I'm 20 on the 12th.

So how old are we? Who should I be looking for!

Hey Guys,

Are my calculations correct in saying that the Nag's Head SHOULD be this friday??

And my apologies to Doc, as I told Trev that he would/might be there.

So who is going??

Me...

Sure is this Friday!

They usually start at bewteen 5pm and 6pm.

I'll be there and I'm pretty sure Trev is coming.

Davee, it ain't cheap alas, you're looking at aroun $6.50 a pint, but it is hand pumped from a keg that just sits on the counter and it's good stuff (especially if you like English Ales).

Though if the last beer outing we had is anything to go by, we should work out how to recognise each other. Earlier this year I spent the entire evening sitting next to Linz, Kook and Jovial Monk it ignortant bliss wondering which of the 100 poeple in the Lord Nelson I was suppose to meet!

The worst of it was that I actually squeezed past you and your mate on the stairs at the Australian hotel earlier in the night(you know the bent stair case inside,you were looking at the pictures on the wall). Whoa and the looks that were thrown my way.

I'll PM my mobile number Wasabi

It's official!!

We would like to remind you of this upcoming event.

Sydney, Nag's Head, Friday

Date: Friday, September 5, 2003
Time: 5:00PM - 10:00PM EST (GMT+10:00)

More real ale from the St Peters Brewery will be hand pumped at
The Nag's Head, 162 St. John's Rd, Glebe, Sydney, this Friday
(first Friday of the month).

Linz/Trev,

A damn last minute (4:31pm) home crisis befell me and I wasn't able to make it?

How was it?

Dude,

I sent my mobile No to you and not anyone else. I was there for about 45 mins and had the spring ale. Tasted like red wine????? and absolutly dead flat with the smallest amount of head.

Bugger it - I got caught at work and by the time I was free it was already about 7:00PM. I thought there was no point in then trying to get over to Glebe.

We've got to get the troops together somehow - is next month a go?

Trev,

Linz has suggested that maybe we make this a regular thing? I'm all for that, infact for the next 3 months I'm going to have to look pretty hard for an excuse NOT to be in Sydney on a Friday night.

I know Neil will be in it, Linz and yourself. Even if you don't like what they have in the keg on the counter, at the very least they have JS Amber on tap and often some English Ale (as in from england not style)

Linz, maybe now we have an excuse to get those "AUSSIE HOME BREWER.com" T-shirts printed up (pending permission from FISCUS......) that you talked about....

i'am very jealous of you guys.there's heaps of pommie and irish pubs over here but they don't have the beer to back them up.never ever have i seen a beer engine or real ale.
real ale from england sounds awesome.is it in the firkin size s/s casks.do they just have a tap on the front or real beer engines.

Jayse,

I think they are the S/S Firkins. THey basically bring it in, put it in a craddle on the basr, attache a pipe and a hand pump to it.

You don't get to see Hand Pumps enough, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a pub in Oz that has any beer that is hand pumped.

Linz is right, they are quite flat, but thats fine for the style. The kegs are kept in the fridge until the night, so they are way too cold, but they warm up as the evening goes along and the flavours just explode out afterwards.

hmmm
the way i'd do it is have it in the postion for at least a week and use a pipe from their glycol system for a jacket around the cask to keep it no lower than 8c.or anything just to keep the temp down to at least 12c back in englands its at least 15c. but if you keep it at that then by the time you drink a few pints they start getting pretty warm in a hot club on friday nite.i think serving it at 10 would be the go.how cloudy do they come out.i think with proper placement of the cask weeks earlier they can be clear.

Back