Mytton Rodd keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco88

Reaction score
Perhaps tell me what I'm looking at too. I semi-accidentally bought this along with a couple of other things, it was blurry in the background. I think I've got a Mytton Rodd keg missing a PRV and a liquid post, but I don't really know much about them so I don't know what I need to do to get this one going. I assume a ball lock post won't fit straight on it?

I'm replacing the O-ring, what else should I consider? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1491330963.812796.jpg

You'll obviously need the liquid post & PRV. Last time I priced them, a replacement post runs at about $35

I'd recommend replacing the washers under both posts & the rubber sleeve that the dip-tube passes through & also replacing the internal rubbers in the gas post (it's a bit fiddly, so PM me if you want some tips on the easy way of doing it).

Did not expect them to be that expensive, the fittings cost more than the keg. Damn. I do have a converted 50L keg that looks to use the same fittings & lid, perhaps I'll just swap as the needs arise. Or maybe get rid of one, I guess. Let me know if you want a 50L to double your fun Mardoo ;)

Already have 6, assuming you mean the large Mytton Rodd ones :) They make excellent pressurised fermenters.

Pity its in Vic. I have two 50s but could use another one.

Not hijacking a thread just trying to save creating a new one.

I've managed to pickup a few of these.

20171017_191406.jpg
20171017_191414.jpg
20171017_191432.jpg

So I believe that they are 45L (haven't filled to check volume) mytton rodd grosvenor kegs.

I know I need some dip tube and lid o rings as these on inspection have perished. I've done some Google searching and have found the link that mardoo posted and also this.
https://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au...pair-kit-rheem-mytton-rodd-reconditioning-kit

Now this one above states it's just for the smaller capacity kegs but would it be fine parts wise for my bigger ones? I think it should run all the same replaceable parts.

There is also.
http://www.ozbrew.com/default.asp?menuI=1&catI=2&catS=18&CatSs=63&country=Cuba&specs=true&zoom=271

Looks like the same kit just a few $ extra. Doesn't mention sizes.

Or could I just use corny keg lid o rings as they seem to fit / work (I have a few of these lying around) and just by 4 of these.
http://www.easykegging.com.au/shop/all-products/dip-tube-oring/

These guys don't seem to sell a seal kit and I'm kinda wanting to replace everything so I'm assured they are going to be top notch.

Keen to start some pressure fermenting and also having a large vessel for bulk distribution.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers all.

Not sure the seals are different from a 19 or 23 litre to a 40. I've just used the same ones. The National Homebrew kits should do you fine.

Yeah sweet as thanks for the fast reply mardoo! I'll order up a couple tomorrow. Now just to get my spudding valve on!

I’ve just got a load of silicon o rings from oringsandmore.com to revamp 19l. Not sure if any of these will fit if you want to try them.

Yeah mate I'll definitely have a look at the types you picked up.
Cheers

Hi guys,

Wonder how much is a keg like this, and where can I find one in Melbourne?

Thanks Digga.
Post is $36 each, and can be obtained from Easy Kegging. So it is about $155 for one keg.
Anyway, I am in Victoria so not near me.

You'll obviously need the liquid post & PRV. Last time I priced them, a replacement post runs at about $35

I'd recommend replacing the washers under both posts & the rubber sleeve that the dip-tube passes through & also replacing the internal rubbers in the gas post (it's a bit fiddly, so PM me if you want some tips on the easy way of doing it).
hi i have 3 of these racetrack lid kegs and had to replace the 2 posts as they were pin lock,,,i bought the 2 posts male thread from richmond home brewing in lismore nsw at a cost of 25 each plus a lid seal and o rings cost about 60 i can buy second hand kegs for about 60 the only saving grace was they are 23 litre and i got them for nicks

They are a much better keg than the std cornie keg.
MUCH MUCH better.

Yeah, you might pay a bit more initially for spares/refurbishment, but once you've got them, they're pretty-much bullet-proof.

Everything I have in the kegging-department is MR & won't touch Cornie stuff, as the current replacement parts are all mass-produced crap out of China that have poor machining tolerances & commensurate expected lifespan/reliability.

I'm keeping my MR kegs for as long as my arse points to the ground.

i use 2 x 23l MR's as pressure fermenters

very solid kegs

as a dodgy post seal i have used co2 stem -> cylinder seal in the past...
they fitted just right

Back