My Very First All Grain Adventure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Saturday morning I was up at the crack of dawn like a kid on christmas day, ready to fire up the boilers for my first AG brew. After much decision, I thought I would try my hand at an amber ale, in fact one of the recipes contained in this forum.
I have to say everything went a lot better than I expected. Aside from scolding myself with some hot wort, and constantly shoooing a bloody swarm of blow flies that seemed to like the smell of my mash, I got the efficiency that i predicted- 70% ( which was probably just a guess), and arrived at exactly the OG I needed.

Had a bit of problem with the CFC not reaching my intended temperature, so I had to chuck the fermenter into the fridge for an hour and a half before I could pitch the yeast. Then it was time to play the waiting game. It took 20 hours before the air lock in the fermenter started to bubble, and it was the longest 20 hours I can tell you. When I could finally see signs of fermentation, I was very relieved.

Definelty takes a lot more time and effort to do a AG brew than a K+K, so I hope it's all worth it. Anyhow even if this one doesnt turn so great, its only my first attempt, It can only get better from here. :)

vlbaby.

vlbaby

I'm sorry to tell you but this beer is bound to be very poor indeed. It sounds like not nearly enough has gone wrong with your first AG for it to be a success. ;)

A mere scolding and a swarm of blowflies?? Good luck! :)

C&B
Steve

Top darts vlbaby! Hope it's a cracker.

Shawn.

way to go vlbaby.
im with stevesa.
i cant recall one ag that ive done that hasnt thrown up at least one dilemma for me.last weeks brew i ran out of gas with 30minutes to go for the boil.

cheers
big d

vlbaby said:
Aside from scolding myself with some hot wort
Ugh. I did this yesterday, except with boiling water from the HLT. Poured about 500 mL directly onto my hands when I was trying to close the tap, owwww! :angry: Spent most of last night with my hands in iced water. :angry: Better be a cracker of a beer! :rolleyes: Glad to hear your first AG went better, hope they all go this smooth!

Nice work vlbaby!

Got the link to the recipe? I'm looking for inspiration

i cant recall one ag that ive done that hasnt thrown up at least one dilemma for me.last weeks brew i ran out of gas with 30minutes to go for the boil.

cheers
big d

I was a bit paranoid about this happening to me also, so I went and had the gas bottle refilled well before it was empty just to be sure.
One thing I might have to work on, was the mongolian burner. It burns like a barstard at full heat, but at part flame it burns very yellow and smoky. At the end of the boil, when i was cleaning up I found 2-3mm of carbon stuck to the bottom of the kettle. I beleive Asher has blocked off a few of the jets to rectify this. I think I might find myself doing the same.

vlbaby

Back