My Toucan Is Stuck. Or Is It Finished?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
Brewed 02.06.2011

Toucan. Stager? Lout? Larger Lager?
1 x can Coopers Stout.
1 can Coopers Lager.
1 KG Coopers BE (Brew Enhancer) #1
All dissolved in 3 litres of boiling water.
Topped up to 23 litres.
Yeast added (2 x Coopers sachets) @ 19.2c and falling.
OG 1.058

Using Coopers Fermenter with Krausen Kollar and no airlock.

03.06.2011. 10.00 am. Sitting on 18c. Krausen has formed.
20:30pm Krausen now up to about 6 deep! Awesome. 

06/6/2011. Test sample (taken 03/6/11) has good yeast cake formed and looks to have slowed. SG 1.023. Still a fair way to go I imagine. Looks and smells good.

08/6/2011. Test sample still @ 1.023
09/6/2011. Test sample still @ 1.023. Main batch also 1.023. Hydrometer checked and accurate (1.000 in plain water @ 20c)
Gave the FV a swirl and turned temp. up to 19c.
Looks, tastes and smells good.
10/6/11 FV temp up to 20c
11/6/11 FV temp up to 21c
12/6/11. Added teaspoon sugar to test sample to check yeast viability. SG with extra sugar 1.024.
15/6/11 Test sample SG 1.018. Main batch 1.021 Raised temp. to 22c and gave it a good stir.
18/6/11 Test sample (still) 1.018. Spreadsheet gives this as FG (high). If / when I can get main batch to this Ill be happy to bottle it. Main (still) on 1.021. Add sachet (all I have at the moment) of US-05
22/6/11 SG = 1.021 Still Where to from here?
30/6/11 SG = 1.021

My notes for this brew. ^^^

So, with adding sugar I was able to get the test batch to 1.018, but I haven't added sugar to main batch, and it simply will not go below 1.021
Is there anything else I should try?
Not sure if it was my imagination, but I think it smells slightly of vegemite. I want beer, not a nutritious yeast spread for my toast! I'd like to get this bottled - will have been 4 weeks in primary tomorrow... Wanted to bottle into glass so I could age it, but I think I'll go PET, just in case. It's "only" a kit beer, so cheap and cheerful, condition for a month or 2 then drink I suppose.
Any advice?

Sometimes kit brews can lack the necessary yeast nutrients to provide a proper and complete fermentation.

You have tried already tried :
- warming up the brew,
- arousing yeast trub,
- re-pitching,

With a toucan, I would say that the expected FG would be around 1.018...

If you want to try, get yourself some yeast nutrient from your local homebrew store, it should give dosage rates...

You could even try it in another sample.

It's important that you keep any nasties away from your brew while it is stuck, and until you find a solution.

I'm not 100% sure on a solution from here, but all you can do is try.

Good luck mate!

I'd say she's done. Of the 3 toucans brews I've done, none finished below 1020 with us05

Ian's spreadsheet suggests you could pull FG as low as 1016. Fudge factor is maybe two points. Follow MLP's advice. Also check temp of gravity sample and adjust gravity for temp

I'd hazard an assumption that it's finished.
Mine, usually done with 500g brown sugar, got around 1016. As you've had it at a reasonable temperature and added 1kg BE1, it sounds close.

As for the vegemite smell, when I was rinsing the fermenter after one toucan it smelt like dog poo.
I would judge it more on the taste. Stout, vegemite, reasonably close smells I reckon.

To be on the safe side, whenever mine end up on the high side, I use half the priming sugar, just in case.

Thanks guys.
Might see if LHBS has yeast nutrient - but don't really like my chances. That are more geared towards distilling than brewing, and the owner is a snarky bitch, unhelpful at best...
Guess an option would be one of the site sponsors and express post, would probably have it by early next week that way.

edit: Order placed, hope you can send tomorrow Ross. :)

You ripper Ross, it arrived today. :) Thanks.
Quick question: Pack says 1 teaspoon / 23 litres for last 10 minutes of boil.
Does it have to be boiled? ie: can I just (using a sanitised teaspoon) chuck some into my month old brew? Or should I boil some in a cup or 2 of water, cool and add that to my beer?

adding anything now will be risky, infection wise. I have done a couple of toucans with coopers stuot and dark and both times finished above 1020. I'd just bottle it with 1 carb drop, you don't highly carb up stouts anyway

Latest posts

Back