My Take On An Aussie Mega Produced

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONNOR BREWARE

Reaction score
Found out father in-laws 60th is involving a surprise get together of all the boys in the family going to the derby on 04 August. The good women folk will transform the front formal lounge room in a western saloon while we are at the game.

So Ive got to brew for it right. It's a bar room theme so beer on tap is a must. But they all hate craft beer. Over 30 IBU is classed as bitter by these guys and they love Crown, Corona etc.

Well I couldnt justify a full grain mash for this style. It was either buy corona and keg it or why not knock up a malt extract brew and keg it for them. So Saturday I pitched the following onto the yeast cake of WY 1335. Mind you when I say yeast cake I did give it a bit of a clean to remove left over hop trub. If I had lager yeast I would have used it, well I do actually have a wyeast pack 2001 Urquell but I cant waste it on this! Besides the 1335 should do the job well.

2.5 KG LME

.5 kg Dexs

75 g Dingemans special roast (260-350)

Dug through my hops freezer and I actually had 25 g of Pride of Ringwood. Added at 60 to give 17.9 IBU!! Very hard not to add any other additions.

Fermenting at 18c and D rest it at 21. Then Ill secondary it at 2c until the party. Should just be crap enough to make them happy.

Designed with their taste in mind. Lets see how I go.

That sounds hard to brew. Hard, in that you'd want to add a shedload more hops and flavour in there!! :)

What was the OG?

What yeast are you using?

EDIT: DIDN'T READ PROPERLY.

I love pilsner urquell. word of advice if you use this yeast, ferment at 9c it will be sleepy as all buggery and take its time. but you or the father in law won't regret it.

That sounds hard to brew. Hard, in that you'd want to add a shedload more hops and flavour in there!! :)

What was the OG?

It was gut wrenchingly hard. I kept finding myself back in front of the hop freezer. If they don't like it I'm popping the keg lid and throwing a bag of flowers in. I may as well enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back