My second brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For my seond brew, i thought i would try and use some hops to get a bit more flavour. After asking for recipe ideas on this, I have decided to do the following:

Canadian Blonde can
BE 1
American pale ale yeast
20g of cascade hops for 20 mins (do I just bring 2 litres water to the boil, dump the hop pellet in for 20 mins and then just pour the whole lot into the fermenter?)

Then dry hop another 20g of cascade pellet on day 5, then leave for a further 7 days minimum(again I assume that once fg is reached, the spent hops will be settled on the bottom and won't gt into the bottles when bottling)

Fill to 23 litres? Will I get alcohol around 4.5 percent?

Anything else I need o know or hint about? Still very new to all this. I just want to try and get. Bit more flavor, I like the flavours from beers like fat yk nd 150 lashes pales ( I am going to have a go at a fat yak clone next).

Thanks guys.

Hey Cavey
It is recommended by most that you need to make up the SG of your water to 1.040 for boiling. IanH's spreadsheet will tell you the amount of Malt required to do this. When using BE2 about 200g in 2 litres should be fairly close. Bigger boils are better but a 2 litre boil should be enough for your second brew. I made a Canadian with shorter boils of Cascade, it was OK but could have done with more.

I reckon less than 4.5%, around 4-4.2%. If you want to get close to 4.5% loose the BE2 and go for a 1.5kg of Light Malt Extract or pull the volume back to 22 litres for a 4.5%. Move to using malt extract (dry or liquid) rather than Beer Enhancers as soon as you are able.

This one should be good with the Cascade boil and dry hop, good luck.

Ok. Just confirming that I will be using BE1 not 2.

Cavey
Sorry. BE1 is 60% Dextrose and 40% Maltodextrin. Still make it up to about 21 litres and IMHO, as soon as you can start using LDM.
I made three brews with BE1 and no added hops, the Canadian Blonde wasn't that bad so I stil reckon you will like this one.

Thanks for that. Will have a crack this arvo and see how it turns out.

Where do you guys get most of your dry ingredients?

Hi Cavey.
I use my LHBS for kits/LME and Brew Adelaide for my hops/yeast, they ship to Melb for only $13. (takes 2 days)
They have good stuff at good prices ( I have NO affiliation just a happy customer)

I second Carnie for big W, great for coopers kits and dry stuff.

Back