My reverse offset smoker build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! Do these LPG tanks need any special seasoning when they're first used? Obviously there isn't any gas left, but more wondering about any non-foodsafe residue or rust that might be on the inside walls of the tank itself.

The best way to clean them out is with a fire it burns any rust residue ect off
Then to season it rub some oil all over the inside and heat it up like you would a cast iron camp oven

The combination of the heat oil and smoke from the wood will season it for life without any rust coming back

Also on the fire box as there's not much on the market in regards to heat proof paint that works cover it with oil as well and burn it in by lighting a fire
It will burn black to the point that it will look painted and only need doing again when you see it needing more

You should make a heat distribution plate or it.. really easy to make and will improve the smoking 10 fold.. look at the yoder smokers as an example

Most (maybe all) yoders are traditional offset. Hairy is building a reverse flow so the base plate is essentially a distribution plate. Nice build hairy.

Most (maybe all) yoders are traditional offset. Hairy is building a reverse flow so the base plate is essentially a distribution plate. Nice build hairy.

Thanks guys yes it's getting base/distribution plate next
Any hits tips would be greatly appreciated as this is my first build and it really came from a few too many beers idea

The little project is moving along rather nicely

Here's this weeks updates

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396600.439633.jpg
A bit of 3" pipe

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396640.793187.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396668.573969.jpg
After a few beers for my 40th I thought I'd start to season the smoker cause it's going be outside till it's finished

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396756.068609.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396780.980208.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396821.466921.jpg
Vent cut

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396861.170442.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396883.563104.jpg
Vent door made and mounted

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396934.222243.jpg
The cooking shelf brackets are welded in

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456396982.398456.jpg
A little bit fancy lol

It's was 37 degrees yesterday so I finished work early and came home to do some welding on rf

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456522021.212816.jpg
I can't weld for shit but It'll stick

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456522069.234382.jpg
A old garage creeper donated it's wheels for me to use

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456522139.003463.jpg
After a few beers here's the stand it's a little high by about a 100mm but I'm 6.1 with a bad back and I think it's comfortable for me

What made you choose an off set over a vertical cabinet type?
Obviously offsets look cooler...

Offset is the (traditional) way to go, you can lie out big lumps of meat like brisket in it. I would do the same if I had the time and/or money.

Hairy, I saw some of your photos on ABA too. Nice going

HC- Why did you put the chimney on the same side as the firebox?

I thought the placement on the opposite end was to ensure smoke effectively filled the chamber (and covered meat) before exiting.

I don't even have a smoker but have the raw materials to create one (is on the ever growing to-do-list) so am genuinely interested.

Judanero said:
HC- Why did you put the chimney on the same side as the firebox?

I thought the placement on the opposite end was to ensure smoke effectively filled the chamber (and covered meat) before exiting.

I don't even have a smoker but have the raw materials to create one (is on the ever growing to-do-list) so am genuinely interested.
The reason why is because it's a reverse flow smoker not a normal flow smoker......

When the smoke travels along from the firebox it heats the heavy steel plate the forms as tunnel for the smoke to travel along then at the end it the smoke turns around and travels back resulting on the meat being cooked from below and having the smoke do its thing

Komodo said:
What made you choose an off set over a vertical cabinet type?
Obviously offsets look cooler...
The main reason is because I work alone and mostly drunk when welding so it was easier lol

Nah just kidding I wanted a true reverse flow to learn on

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436408.278660.jpg
While this was heating up I managed to do some work on the weekend

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436448.795312.jpg
The cheap Chinese gauge showed up...it tested within 3 degrees from correct so it'll do for now
I plan on smoking by a temp probe anyway so it's just to tell me what the ovens doing

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436565.857047.jpg

Mmmm pizza ....and hangover installed

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436610.691473.jpg
Lunch and dinner getting cooked at the same time

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436662.219036.jpg
Smoked roast pork.....

Oh wait where was I that's right trying to build smoker

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436711.293706.jpg
I managed to finally make the grill

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457436743.143017.jpg
The fire box door finally got some attention

The missus got made redundant today so the smoker might not be fully finished for a few weeks while I try and keep the mortgage on track but I'll see what happens

Hairy camel said:
The reason why is because it's a reverse flow smoker not a normal flow smoker......

When the smoke travels along from the firebox it heats the heavy steel plate the forms as tunnel for the smoke to travel along then at the end it the smoke turns around and travels back resulting on the meat being cooked from below and having the smoke do its thing
Cool mate thanks for the explanation! Great build too!

Latest posts

Back