My Plastic Conical Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate given me some really good thought on how to keep it clean. I'll let you know how I get on once I finally get it up and running

Neil
Awesome, i'm keen to see the finished product...

Test brew

Fat yak clone on day 2

Blowing good bubbles and smells beautiful... :drinks:

IMG_20111103_193701.jpg

Looks great!

Apart from looking good, is the only main advantage of a conical fermenter the ease of yeast harvesting from the very bottom tap?
That is certainly 1 advantage, however the main reason is being able to remove the yeast and trub without moving to a secondary and potentially contaminating the beer, gives you a clearer crisper beer in my opinion.

Test brew

Fat yak clone on day 2

Blowing good bubbles and smells beautiful... :drinks:

How are the metal struts supporting the fermenter? It looks like there are bolts, but then you would have to drill holes into the fermenter to support it? Is this correct? Don't the internal bolts cause sanitation issues?

I just found this on the minibrew website talking about their plastic conicals with very similiar fittings to mine. Plastic spec is the same also from what I gather.

[size=-1]Easy to Clean and Sterilize ... The large top makes it easy to get inside and scrub dried trub with a Teflon scouring pad... [/size]

I would NOT recommend using a scouring pad on plastic fermenters. Might get away without an infection for a few brews, but it will definately increase the likelihood of getting one sooner rather than later. Too much money spent to then have a house infection that won't go away...I found soaking is a pain and huge waste of water, so a high pressure cleaner works well.

Also tri-clover fittings are a quick way to remove sample / dump valves and give them a good soak. Can get them for 3 piece ball valves.

Those look awesome. Great price to IMO.

I may well order two or three of those, hopefully they'll do me a deal. ;)

Those look awesome. Great price to IMO.

I may well order two or three of those, hopefully they'll do me a deal. ;)

Interesting, looks like you put the wort etc in the bucket, put the bottom section on it and then invert the whole lot so t is then standing as it should for fermentation. The pressure relief valve on the side must have a pipe that goes up into the headspace of the bucket.

So any 5 gallon pail of the right size would fit? I wonder if they would ship without the 5 gallon pail in order to reduce shipping overseas...

Edit: I was correct about my assumptions about how it goes together.
Picnic taps all round! I suppose what do you expect at that price? More pictures in their assembly instructions pdf (attached)
View attachment onederbrewdirectionsheets.pdf

Good bit of detective work there Malted as it is not so easy to see much from the photo on the webpage.
Interesting concept somebody has put quite a lot of thought into it to make a 'ghetto' beer machine.

If they shipped without the bucket I wonder how we could work a pressure relief bung into the base of the bucket as per the instructions.

If they shipped without the bucket I wonder how we could work a pressure relief bung into the base of the bucket as per the instructions.

I think that would be relatively simple and could be done in many ways.

I also see potential for putting a shorter bucket on it for smaller batches...

I gotta say as much as love cube fermenting this would be great cool
I love the idea of stainless bling but i just love the ingenuity of the Onederbrew

Well I'm in for a bulk buy if it happens. Pretty simple and cool idea.

Just got a reply from onederbrew confirming they will send without the bucket and that two conicals could then fit in the same packaging. He is going to get a quote on postage and more details on the bucket dimensions. The interest builds...

Just got a reply from onederbrew confirming they will send without the bucket and that two conicals could then fit in the same packaging. He is going to get a quote on postage and more details on the bucket dimensions. The interest builds...

Good work Malted this guy might get alot of business from Australia.

Sounds great Malted, keep us all informed please

Yep would definitely be interested in this and will watch this thread with interest. Clever, simple and effective design, I like it.

Yep would definitely be interested in this and will watch this thread with interest. Clever, simple and effective design, I like it.
You forgot inexpensive :lol:
This may well be one for the cheap ass who dreams of bigger things. We'll see.

Back