My pear cider is too tart

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2blokes

Reaction score
I have brewed two pear ciders now, the first was from fresh pears that I crushed the 2nd used fresh pear juice from the farm.

Both tasted lovely and sweet before I bottled them but both turned too tart (for my liking) after secondary fermentation in the bottle.

The first batch used champagne yeast and also had some honey and strawberries in the mix but both of these did not come through in the flavour.

The 2nd batch used a wine yeast.

The first batch is getting better with age (bottled last August) but is still not really nice, the 2nd batch is still too young to have noticed any mellowing.

I have read about Malic Acid Fermentation, is this what has caused the tart flavour to come through in the bottle?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Malo-lactic fermentation would make your cider less tart, not more. If you bottled with priming sugar then it would have tasted sweet but all the sugar goes to make co2 to carbonate the cider, leaving it very dry. Pears are supposed to have unfermentable sugar but this is variable and not reliable. Add a little splash of juice when you drink your cider, it will taste much better.

Latest posts

Back