My Party Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Thought I'd make a thread on the party keg setup I'm working on.

PIC_0056.jpgPIC_0055.jpg

It's a mini wheelie bin I bought from Super Cheap Auto for $40, and then that very same day saw in KMart and a camping shop for $25 :rolleyes:

The tap is sourced from this forum and I'll be getting a tap handle that way too! I bought a soda stream bottle from KMart yesterday and an adapter off Ebay yesterday.

Now I need a bit of help with insulating the inside. I've come up with a few different options.

1 - Don't insulate at all. Fill with ice as is and don't worry too much about it melting in the sun etc.
2 - Insulate just the internal walls with a cut up camping mat.
3 - Use a bucket to house the actual keg, and some pipe to make a place to slide the soda stream bottle into, and then use expanding foam everywhere else to fully insulate the inside and have neat compartments to place the keg and co2 bottle.
4 - As above but just buy a big block of foam and cut out the holes to house the keg and co2 bottle.
5 - Either 3 or 4, but do it even nicer, with a little runoff tube from the soda stream compartment to the keg compartment so any stray ice melts back into the main area, and build a box around the inside of the tap that you can fill with ice so that it sort of works like a flooded font.

I'm looking for input on the above because I don't know if I'm trying to over-engineer this thing or not. Anyone have any experience with how long ice would last in something like this on a hot day, possibly even in direct sunlight?

I did a test run the other day without any ice, inside, and the tap had condensation on it after two pours. Looks like the beer chills the tap and as such it gave me the idea of making a 'flooded style' tap by covering the shank in a little ice compartment.

I would recommend a combination of ice and expanding foam. Make yourself a mould (nice simple cylinder, larger than the diamter of your keg). Then place this inside the bin, fill between the mould and bin walls with expanding foam. This will give you some insulation. Then when you put the keg in, pour ice around it. This should stay nice and cold for a few hours in the sun.

Also wouldn't hurt to uct up camping mat (or something similar) to line the inside of the lid. And add a small plug on the bottom so you can drain the water out of it once your finished.

Cheers SJ

I like idea #4, foam should insulate it for a fair while, and you could cut out a mould for a lid for extra insulation. I'm not sure the expanding foam would be as dense as "real" foam, so might not work as well. You'll obviously have to get the keg chilled to start with so that might be a pain.

Edit: SJ's one sounds even better

Yeah SJ that's what I meant in number 3.

Good idea with the camping mat inside the lid too.

Also if anyone has any ideas for a drip tray that's cheap and nasty that'd be cool. I'm thinking just a plastic drain or something. May take a look at bunnings in the not too distant future.

Also if anyone has any ideas for a drip tray that's cheap and nasty that'd be cool. I'm thinking just a plastic drain or something. May take a look at bunnings in the not too distant future.

S/S Soap dish/holder from the bathroom fittings aisle???

Cheers SJ

S/S Soap dish/holder from the bathroom fittings aisle???

Cheers SJ

Was thinking that but the ones I saw on Ebay were open grilled so the beer would drip straight through. I guess you could try and make a little box but sort of defeats the purpose.

Some have just a single hole in the centre for draining. Grab one of those and whack a small rubber stopper/grommet in it.

Supra, good point mate, didn't think of that. I'll take a look.

Cocko, it's 60L

It's not actually a mini wheelie bin as such if you know what I mean. It's sort of a knock off of one. I think it's meant to put kids toys in or whatever. It has 4 castors on the bottom instead of the two usual big wheels on the back.

Seems like a perfect size for a party keg though (9L cornie).

Supra, good point mate, didn't think of that. I'll take a look.

Cocko, it's 60L

It's not actually a mini wheelie bin as such if you know what I mean. It's sort of a knock off of one. I think it's meant to put kids toys in or whatever. It has 4 castors on the bottom instead of the two usual big wheels on the back.

Seems like a perfect size for a party keg though (9L cornie).

Cheers MB! :icon_cheers:

Sure does seem a perfect size!

Nice work ,Man...
I agree with SJ....you want to insulate the bin so that your ice lasts longer...
I have a miracle box i made out of one of those tiny bar fridges...it's that well insulated that i keeps ice for 2 or 3 days....infact it's been known to freeze my SS coil if we're not too carefull lol
I reckon if you make a "collar" ( out of a cut up $10 nylex bin from Bunnings cut the bottom of it...then cut up one side and then roll to make suitable diameter to fit a keg and some ice ) then all you will need to do is fill the air space between your collar and your wheelie bin with expanding foam .....as SJ said
Then maybe a nice ply top to keep it all pretty... and some paint ?
Now i did see something similar on here ( i think ) but i am sick today and i can't get the brain working to remember where i saw it...
Anyway..i'm sure there will plenty of advice , as usual !
Cheers
Ferg

A friend of mine did the same sort of thing & had some polystyrene foam cut to fit on the inner walls of the bin & then sprayed the inside with fibre glass resin.

Came up a treat & the ice stays cold & doesn't melt for a few days. He also did the same under the lid & put a rubber fridge type seal around the lid. the lid is held shut with some clamps just like those on a toolbox. Gives the whole thing a great seal.

All good ideas guys.

And makes me think I wasn't over-engineering either hahaha.

Any feedback on having an icebox around the shank? Is it overkill? I guess there's a chance you could accidentally freeze the beer line?

All good ideas guys.

And makes me think I wasn't over-engineering either hahaha.

Any feedback on having an icebox around the shank? Is it overkill? I guess there's a chance you could accidentally freeze the beer line?
Mate , speaking from experience , you don't want a frozen beer line...
I took a keg & my miracle box away with me to a golf weekend ( about 40 ppl...inc wifes/kids etc )
Now there was 3 of us in the know about how good the AG beer was...the rest of the philistines said...oh look we don't drink homebrew....
Anyway , as i was playing the 18th ( in the dark i might add ) the organisers put the ice in my miracle box ( which i had cleaned the night before by running some oxyper thru , then water )
The water froze and when i connected up the keg nothing happened...well you can imagine the philistines loved that...
Anyway , long story short , some swearing ,a bit of hot water and some mucking about and.... she unfroze.
And would you believe by the end of the night all those blokes that didn't "drink homebrew" , were lining up for the thrill of pulling their own pot of what one described as " actually pretty bloody good" beer...
Don't freeze your beer line !
Cheers
Ferg

^ LOL! top story!
How long did the keg last with that many people drinking it though!?

MB, if you have ice in there and the rest of it (lid etc) has insulation, your shank will stay cool enough without having a separate ice box around it.

Cheers SJ

^ LOL! top story!
How long did the keg last with that many people drinking it though!?

Not the whole 40 drinking it...
About 10 guys...
It was empty by the nights end....
Everyone had their fill though !

How much is a sodastream gas bottle worth?

I think the first one costs you about $30-40, but that includes a rental license. After that, just drop the empty one into a Kmart etc and you can get a new filled one for $12 (or there abouts).

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back