My Next American Pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRB

Reaction score
I thought I'd have a crack at another American Pale style tomorrow, and there's no Cascade in sight.

Advice on my recipe would be appreciated and I'm going to use the slurry from my last batch, a light porter.

-----
Boarders' Brew #9 - American Pale Ale (Hellfire)

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 36 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.05
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 12.03
Anticipated EBC: 21.1
Anticipated IBU: 37.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 29.68 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.038 SG 9.40 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.1 4.50 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 38.00 8
5.0 0.25 kg. Crystal 60L America 34.00 158
3.0 0.15 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 36.00 63
3.0 0.15 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 40.00 4

Potential represented as Points per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Perle Pellet 6.00 34.3 60 min.
25.00 g. Hallertauer Pellet 4.20 3.0 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1335 British Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.05
Water Qts: 13.34 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 12.62 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 75 Time: 20

Total Mash Volume L: 16.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.
-----

NRB
Looks like it could be a nice beer, but I am not too sure it falls under the category of APA, though I could stand to be corrected. As far as I know, APA's are categorized by alot of NW finishing hops, like cascade, centennial, amarillo, etc, and use one of the american ale yeasts, wheras you seem to be using a German finishing hop, and an english ale yeast. I have always thought that pitching ontop of another yeast cake, you should be pitching a darker, stronger beer than the original, but once again, I could be wrong. Not trying to bag out your recipe at all, its just my opinion, and like I said, I am sure it will be a nice beer. With my pales, I usually just use ale malt, and about 10% crystal, but I am not all that adventurous! I do use perle to bitter all my APA's though. Let us know how it turns out, I'm gonna start splitting my batches into 2, and primary fermenting with a different yeast in each (for some batches, anyway), so be interested to hear how the 1335 goes in this kinda style
ALl the best
Trent

Looks like a nice brew. The only thing I would say is that it is pretty much void of anything "American" (potentially except the perle I guess). I have seen the odd APA brewed with hallertau though. Its just a question of what exactly defines the APA style. The colour and IBU are well within the guidelines but I probably wouldn't brew an APA without American flavour/aroma hops (not necessarily cascade though...). Its personal perference though and I think this beer would be mighty tasty - just not sure I would call it an APA that's all (don't really know what I would call it instead though!).

Does look nice though (who really cares what its called anyway) - I certainly wouldn't mind knocking a bottle of it back! :chug:

Thanks for the comments Trent - I don't brew to style and put it into American Pale Ale category for the hell of it. I guess I should simply have referred to it as simply a pale ale.

As for the increasing colour and strength, I figure it doesn't matter in this case as I've washed the yeast already and there's definitely not going to be any flavours of the light porter (which wasn't a big beer at all) and the yeast haven't been stressed at all. The porter came in at around 4% after priming.

The reasons I'm using this English yeast in the ale are twofold:
1) I already have it ready to go
2) I like the crisp, clean almost dry finish it gives. Given we're heading into a hot summer, I think it'll be a good quaffer.

T.D. said:
Looks like a nice brew. The only thing I would say is that it is pretty much void of anything "American" (potentially except the perle I guess).

Does look nice though (who really cares what its called anyway) - I certainly wouldn't mind knocking a bottle of it back! :chug:

I didn't know what else to call it! I knew it didn't have American hops and had English yeast, but I wouldn't classify it as an English Mild/bitter etc.

Perhaps I should just call it a Bastardised Ale? :huh:

Hi NRB,
to me it looks like a pale ale/bitter, even an ESB.

I noticed a few things, I think the current colour of JWM Trad Ale malt = 6.7EBC and you mention 8EBC.
Is it possible that you have your Promash settings 'up the wattle'?

I can't recall the EBC ratings of the other grains but they look a tad inflated too.

Personally I think the crystal quantities are on the higher side but then the bitterness is quite high to balance.

I'm also interested at the high IBU's (34.3) achieved out of 40g of 6.0% Perle hops in 23 litres.

Who else gets similarly high IBU's with these quantities?

My calcs (top of my head!) arrive at mid 20's IBU's.

Any thoughts?

tdh

tdh said:
I noticed a few things, I think the current colour of JWM Trad Ale malt = 6.7EBC and you mention 8EBC.
Is it possible that you have your Promash settings 'up the wattle'?

Anything's possible, but I haven't tinkered with it. It's all as it was when I installed Promash for the first time.

tdh said:
I'm also interested at the high IBU's (34.3) achieved out of 40g of 6.0% Perle hops in 23 litres.

Who else gets similarly high IBU's with these quantities?

My calcs (top of my head!) arrive at mid 20's IBU's.

Again, Promash came up with these figures.

I just ran a calculation myself:

IBU = [WxU%xA%x1000]/V

IBU = [40x0.34x0.06x1000]/23

IBU = 816/23

IBU = 35.48

I reckon my Perle are 9% (and I don't like them). 40g of 6% perle does seem to me to be on the high side of what I would have expected.
I added 350g of 4% saaz today to get ~ 40IBU in 65 litres

My (top of my head) calcs roughly concur with Darrens.

Darren and I seem to be using a far lower hop utilisation rate, around 25% it seems.

tdh

I'd love some more feedback on this issue as I'm directed by my brewing software. I've a heap of hop pellets in my fridge (Fuggle, Hallertau, Perle, Cascade, EKG, STyrian Goldings), have always gone by the IBUs calculated by Promash, and adding more is no drama. Perhaps all my beers are a lot less bitter than the recipes have stated.

I'd like to have my software set correctly of course.

Thanks for the heads up at this point.

Nick

What's brewing Darren?
Sumfink Czech maybe?

tdh

tdh said:
What's brewing Darren?
Sumfink Czech maybe?

tdh
[post="93466"][/post]​

Double brew day. 65 litres czech pils and 65 litres APA. Started 6.00 am finished 3.00 PM

NRB said:
I'd love some more feedback on this issue
[post="93464"][/post]​

Google is your friend on this. Their is a lot of information out there and the maths is pretty simple. Brew software is good, but should always come second to an understanding of the process.

It seems like it's just which formula for hop utilisation you go by. On Promash you can calculate in several different ways. Google "hop formula ibu garetz rager" and try the first two entries and you will get all the info (and more :p ) that you need.

I guess it's best just to stick to one and go by your tastes.

Actually try the third article too, here for even more. It all depends on your brewery really.

Stuster said:
Actually try the third article too, here for even more. It all depends on your brewery really.
[post="93479"][/post]​

Top link,an interesting read indeed,especially the section on contamination!

Scary stuff, isn't it. Makes me want to scrub out my fermenter, though perhaps not right now. :chug:

Those contamination results certainly aren't surprising to me. Anything brewed in the backyard is going to have a significant bacterial load, regardless of sanitition practices.

Latest posts

Back