My New Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi
Well it just keeps getting better. I am very happy with my latest Porter, it has a nice kick of over 6% and some great smoothness from the Carafa special 1. If you are about to make a Porter I would suggest you look at this recipe even if you use it as a guide. I posted it on beertools.com

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4033

Cheers
Ray Mills

Looks great Ray.
My latest porter i used 500g of TF amber malt and that really does add a whole new dimension to these beers. Next i'll try the brown malt.

Question...Do you find the brown malt is the stand out malt and flavour in this beer?

Iam gunna still go with black patent malt though for now i have tried one with the carafa but i really do like the black patent alot.
Porters are one of my favourite brews.

Cheers Jayse

Hi Jayse

The sweetness is there in the beer but I cannot say what crystal it is as I have Melanoidin, Crystal, Caraaroma and brown malt all combined. The smoothness is from the Carafa special 1 and the 36.5 iub gives it a nice balance.

Go for what you like and keep changing till your happy. Its what makes this hobby different.

Cheers
Ray

Thanx Ray,
For the most of mine i have used cararoma by itself and find it is a great cystal malt to use for these although it is not a traditional crystal malt for such a beer it rocks.
I use around 350g.
I also mash around 66c and try to get a reasonble dry finish.
I found the few i have done with 500g odd of TF crystal where not as good as the ones with cararoma so iam sticking with that for the time being by itself.
I haven't used the 1099 but the last was the whitbred 1098 which was super clean but i think 1026 has been the best yeast i have used for these so far. The other yeast i have used is 1056 but 1026 is the best i have used so far for it.

Like you say keep changing to your happy. That is what i have been doing changing one thing at a time. Next will be the same beer as i have been doing but hitting it with some brown malt.
My basic grist is aussie ale malt at 75%, imc munich at around 15%, black patent at 3-4% and cararoma at 5%

Cheers for your input.
Jayse

i used 1kg of brown malt in a brown ale i made on the weekend and this malt is beaut. Full on biscuitlike flavour and eccentuates the bitterness of the beer.

Though i really needs something like chocolate malt to go with it. This is what i did on the weekend. Was trying for a northern brown.
Brown Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-B Brown Ale, Northern Brown

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 24 Max Clr: 59 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.10
Anticipated OG: 1.0489 Plato: 12.131
Anticipated EBC: 42.6
Anticipated IBU: 28.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.8 4.50 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.0380 4
16.4 1.00 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.0330 200
1.6 0.10 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.0400 4
8.2 0.50 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.0350 145

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Fuggle Whole 5.00 1.6 15 min.
15.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 10.10 19.9 60 min.
10.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 6.6 60 min.

Yeast
-----

It is sounding like Brown malt may be the key contributor.
I've got an Imperial Porter that I racked at the weekend and it is tasting awesome. I haven't used Brown malt before and used 0.8kg of it in this beer mixed with chocolate, munich and caramalt.

Beers,
Doc

Also try crystal wheat. Awesome biscuitty-wholemeal notes

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back