My New Hopback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin_smevin

Reaction score
Thought i'd show you all my new hopback. Here are a couple of pics

Here's the hopback pulled apart. Its basically a 100mm cylinder with a tri-clover fitting on one end and a plate welded on the other end. At each end there is a 1/2" BSP socket welded. All welds are sanitary welds.
hopback_parts.jpg

On the inside, about 1" from the bottom is some 2mm perforated stainless to act like a false bottom for the hop flowers to sit on
hopback_inside.jpg

Here it is all set up. Simply a ball valve at the outlet and a t-piece at the inlet to let air escape while i'm filling it
hopback.jpg

Here it is filled with 90g dry cascade flowers
hopback_dry_flowers.jpg

Here it is in action. I gravity fed the wort from the kettle into the hopback. Once it was full, i opened the outlet to prime the pump, turned the pump on. To the left of the picture (not shown) is my plate chiller and fermenter receiving nice cool hoppy wort.
hopback_in_action.jpg

Here are the spend flowers after i'm all done
hopback_spent_flowers.jpg

Was very happy that it all worked well. First time i used it today and no issues. Brewed an AIPA. Hope the photos worked ok. Only shitty ones from my phone.

looks good mate you just cant beat the smell the come out while being used.

Thats some impressive work yum, well done!! Would be interesting to see how the hopback effects the hop flavour and aroma profile of your beer compared with flameout additions. Let us know eh?

Cheers

Thats some impressive work yum, well done!! Would be interesting to see how the hopback effects the hop flavour and aroma profile of your beer compared with flameout additions. Let us know eh?

Cheers

Yeah. I'm really interested to see how it compares to flameout additions and dry hopping. Hopefully it will give me something in between the two.

Yeah. I'm really interested to see how it compares to flameout additions and dry hopping. Hopefully it will give me something in between the two.

Looks the goods,I also used mine for the first time last nite with no issues,I subbed the zero additions and I might still dry hop

Back