My New Brewstand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warren, if you want to see my brewstand just have a look at yours...It is a blatant copy.
I got the Dexion from a mate of a mate who works for someone who knew someone who works in a factory that was getting rid of a load of the stuff so I snapped up enough to build my frame for $100 with a few length's left over.

I will try here again to upload the photo but being on dial up it seems to freeze after step 2 in your tutorial above, I may have to upload them to my photobucket and link to there.

Here goes.

:super:

Ok, after the huge build up I hope it is worth it. :ph34r:

This is still a work in progress, it will hopefully be finished tomorrow, I still need to make a shelf for my NASA below the HLT and something for the esky to sit on, it is sitting on a cut off from a 44 gallon drum in the photo that I cut down to make a wind shield out of, seems to do the trick but has yet to be tested in proper wind.

Anyway, here she is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/dow...3/brewstand.jpg

:super:

where did ya get your beaten up old kegs?....I want some myself!

brewstand.jpg

I am going to have to do something like this one day soon :super:

Bidtfaun said:
where did ya get your beaten up old kegs?....I want some myself!

brewstand.jpg

I am going to have to do something like this one day soon :super:
[post="69040"][/post]​
Ah, thanks for putting the pic up. :super:

I got the kegs from a job I did for an old biddy round my way, she had them sitting in her shed and when I spotted them asked for them as part payment but she insisted that I take them for nowt! RESULT. :super:

They look a bit beaten up on the outside but inside they are pristine. :beerbang:

Thanks for the plans warren.

Brizbrew - looks great, just what I need to build for myself...

$100 is a good price too.

Bought my Dexion from a 2nd hand racking and shelving mob in Alexandria in SydneyPicture_011.jpg

Total cost of bits $70 and cut to size!!

Its also about to undergo a transformation to a herms, prolly the 3 barrel side by side on the BBQ bench look

Nice stand Brizbrew. :)

I don't lay claim for being the originator of this idea. I pinched the design from Justin's (wooden) stand. I like the idea of three tiers but not 3 steps like a lot of blokes have.

Two things though Brizbrew. Are you going to anchor your stand to the wall/floor? Makes the whole thing a lot more secure that way. They can be a little wonky otherwise. Also you may want to consider raising your HLT and mashtun about 10cm. Looks like your boiler is about 40cm from the ground. You may find running from the boiler to the fermenter a bit of a process otherwise. I've got mine set at 70cm. Drains with gravity to glass carboys with no dramas. Of course disregard this statement if you're using a pump.

BTW You think your kegs are beat up. :unsure: Take a look at my boiler. Keg was free (and legal) so I'm not complaining. May be beat up on the outside but it's still fine on the inside. :lol:

Enjoy your new rig. :super:

Warren -

DSC00041.JPG

G'day all, thought I would jump on the Dexion Bandwago, it's good Stuff!.

Cheers

P4170069.JPG

Sluggerdog,

give S&m metals a call where you got your copper coil from - they usually have plenting of racking etc...

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Sluggerdog,

give S&m metals a call where you got your copper coil from - they usually have plenting of racking etc...

cheers Ross
[post="69074"][/post]​

Good Idea, will do that. From memory I think I saw some racking when I was there..

Cheers!

Ross said:
give S&m metals a call
[post="69074"][/post]​

They may even sell you a whip, chain and rubber mask too. :huh:

Keep the Dexion towers of terror coming guys.

Also Brizbrew... Another important thing I noticed. You said you're going to put a NASA under your HLT? Have you considered maybe going Electric for your HLT? Would probably cost about the same and would save you headspace above your boiler. I get the feeling at that height you'll burn yourself on hot metal and also lose access to your boiler when stirring etc because the burner will effectively rob you of 40cm of height.

Of course all of the above does not apply if you sit your (HLT) burner on top of your rails. This would also give you some extra height.

Warren -

I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't know what it is with these Dexion brew stands; they just freak me out.

I use a 19" computer rack.
Here is a pic from when I first got it.

There have been a number of modifications to it, including a proper shelf on the bottom to hold the NASA burner, a power strip on the back, water filters attached to the rear door etc. I took a bunch of photos on the last brew day, but can't find them atm.

Beers,
Doc

RackBrewSculpture_20011.jpg

Brizbrew,

Sorry for pinching your photo. It's just a quick diagram to better explain what I mean. Burner on top of the rails seems to be more practical than underneath in the same fashion as the boiler. That's the reason why I settled for electric. Gives you the benefit of thermostatic control minus the risk of a flame above your head, at the mercy of the wind if you're brewing outside.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs. More a case of things I had to work out myself when making my own.

Benefit of hindsight etc. :)

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

HEy Warren,

Are you sure your not the guy that goes crazy with the white pen on the screen for the cricket commentators. I see a common theme here.

Borret

warrenlw63 said:
Brizbrew,

Sorry for pinching your photo. It's just a quick diagram to better explain what I mean. Burner on top of the rails seems to be more practical than underneath in the same fashion as the boiler. That's the reason why I settled for electric. Gives you the benefit of thermostatic control minus the risk of a flame above your head, at the mercy of the wind if you're brewing outside.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs. More a case of things I had to work out myself when making my own.

Benefit of hindsight etc. :)

Warren -
[post="69090"][/post]​

I originally had the HLT right up at the top of the stand but the height was intimidating, I made this modification to see how it looks but you are probably right about the headspace. I am also worried about the steam condensing and dripping back into the kettle taking all sorts back with it.

How easily did you convert your HLT to electric and how long does it take to boil up for a brewday?

Another thing I have been thinking about is how do you know when the strike/sparge water is at the correct temperature when it is way above your head and you don't yet own a tel tru type thermometer?

:ph34r:

Doc said:
I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't know what it is with these Dexion brew stands; they just freak me out.
Beers,
Doc
[post="69088"][/post]​

Doc,

My brew stand doesn't go anywhere near being taller than my patio roof though!!!!

Back