My New Brewery Build (pics)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Once again I thought I'd build another brewery.. I seem to have gone through a few systems and my next build will be a The Electric Brewery inspired system.
It will be design from the 32amp control box, Currently I have a 20amp point with two 10amp's on a separate circuit (my stupid fault when building the house) got a quote to install a 40amp line and plugs it was $550 so 20amps is where i stay (for now)

The Hardware
  • 75lt HLT / MLT / BK all tri-clover fittings etc..
  • 2 x Pumps picked up some cheap green pumps from grainandgrape will probably upgrade later on and make some single vessel rigs with them.
  • Counter flow heat exchanger
  • 2 x Electric Ball Valves for water in and tank in for chilling (Thanks Nev - gryphonbrewing)
  • Quick Disconnect RTD Temperature probes
  • PID Controllers for HLT / MASH / BK / HERMS (not used yet)
  • Beer Timer from Auber Instruments
  • Electrical Enclosure
  • Misc Electronics
  • Elements (locally sourcing at the moment)

Recommended Tools
  • Drill Press
  • Greenlee 77U-1/2 Slug-Buster Self Centering Knockout Punch Unit for 1/2-Inch Conduit (The Electric brewery guy swears by it and now so do I) worth every cent!
  • Jigsaw with metal blade (Fine cut)
  • Clamps for holding stuff down, its always helpful.
  • Tap and Die set
  • half decent drill bits

At the moment I've pretty much sourced everything and will start to wire up my control panel this week.
Thought I'd start a thread to help anyone else wanting to go down this track and wanting to implement an electric brewery style brewrig.

My Pots and Brew Stand (requires painting) on the to do list
gallery_9889_466_162496.jpg

Early Picture of Electronic Parts (got more but found this pic)
Parts.JPG

Marking out the Control panel with the electronics and switches
ControlPanelLayout.JPG

Using the BLOODY Awesome punch tool, made cutting the holes so much easier
ControlPanelCut.JPG

I didn't want just a boring coloured cables coming from my Rig so I'm going to try and make them look a little better...

Cable1.JPG

Cable2.JPG

So I've finished cutting the holes in the panel so I should be doing a lot in the next few weeks, I'm itching to push out some beers..

Feed back welcome....

Cheers

Gavin

wow, looks great. and do you have it hard-plumbed into the wall? amazing! subscribed.

I do hard plumb it into the wall, the two on the left is HOT and COLD mains which I only use hot since the hot water system is on the other side of the wall so it comes out pretty hot.
The other two are just 1/2" threads through the wall which goes to our 22,000lt tank out the back which I use for chilling.
The tank water temp is pretty cold (when pretty full) most of the time its cooler than the mains cold.
The only thing the plumber warned me about push hot water into the tank is if you have a smaller tank and you somehow get it above a certain temp point some very bad nasties can bread in there.
I forget the setpoint and all the other info but since we have the tank pretty full most the time I dont think its an issue, plus its not drinking water its just for the plants.

-Gav.

I think I need to get myself one of those punches.

I have the enclosure and all the hardware ready to go, just not the patience for all the cutouts.

sponge said:
I think I need to get myself one of those punches.

I have the enclosure and all the hardware ready to go, just not the patience for all the cutouts.
I got mine from Amazon $70 delivered i think and took about two weeks to arrive.. but I did that whole panel including pilot holes in about 45mins.
plus its 1/2" so you can use it on alot of things for brewing, although it does suggest not to use on stainless steel but if you have cheap thin wall pots it'd work well.

-gav

Best of luck with the build mate. I built my electric brewery and finally brewed on it last month. building the panel was easily my favourite bit, learnt quite a bit along the way as well. and yep, those knock out punches are the ducks guts!
will be following your thread mate.

Doubleplugga said:
Best of luck with the build mate. I built my electric brewery and finally brewed on it last month. building the panel was easily my favourite bit, learnt quite a bit along the way as well. and yep, those knock out punches are the ducks guts!
will be following your thread mate.
I've checked yours out on AHB and on The Electric Brewery website, looks good..
It looks pretty sweet with the electric panel with all the lights and switches :)

How do you go with the pumps and priming? My previous brew rig I had the control panel near my pump because it was a bitch to prime..
This way I could play with the hose turn the pump on and off and get it going. I think it was due to my hose being to short..
How do you find that with the control panel being mounted abit away

-Gav

I haven't had any priming issues mate. just took the advice from kal's website that suggested opening the mash tun valve last to avoid priming issues when you begin to mash. I did this on the test run with water and also on my first brew with no issues. I can see how you may get priming issues if you let air into the hose but I just ensure I follow my valve opening routine and its no dramas

Nice Build, i will be keeping an eye on it

Did you also build the stand ?

Hoppers said:
Nice Build, i will be keeping an eye on it

Did you also build the stand ?
My Mate built the stand for his 3V which he didn't end up building, So i pinched it for 100 beans.. comes with casters and i think its 50x50mm steel

-Gav

Awesome build Gava. Where'd you source the enclosure?

subscribed, im up to the electrical design on my build so watching with interest! Got any more info in the quick disconnects used on the temperature probes?

husky said:
subscribed, im up to the electrical design on my build so watching with interest! Got any more info in the quick disconnects used on the temperature probes?
Yeah mate, we sell them.. http://www.brewrig.com.au/12-bsp

• 2.5m Braided Cable
  • 60cm Un-braided inside Panel Cable
  • Quick Disconnect Probe
  • Quick Disconnect Panel Connector
  • 1/2" BSP Probe Thread Stainless Steel 316
  • 40mm or 60mm Probe Length (Excluding Thread)
-Gav

Looking awesome Gavin. Looks like this system is in your typical style, quality. Will be watching with interest. Hope it all goes well for you and congrats on the new business :)

Whilst I am not a big fan of large control boxes I can t wait to see this one finished with all the fruit.
I believe you may be setting a benchmark on this one.
Nev

+1 Nev, looks like all the Good gear and I note there's space for a fourth kettle :huh:

MastersBrewery said:
+1 Nev, looks like all the Good gear and I note there's space for a fourth kettle :huh:
That's going to be a "table" area under my control panel for scales, hops, recipe etc... Im always trying to find a spot for that stuff so thought I'd put it on the rig itself.

-Gav

gava said:
That's going to be a "table" area under my control panel for scales, hops, recipe etc... Im always trying to find a spot for that stuff so thought I'd put it on the rig itself.

-Gav

Haha, I have that same problem, wish I'd thought of that when making my stand.

Back