My Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcano

Reaction score
Well, as I owe a lot of the quality that comes through this puppy to you guys I thought I'd pass on some happy snaps of my setup.

I only have a single tap installed at the moment (Hopefully soon to have at least 1 nice new andale coming provided the minister for war and finance - read: wife - allows it)

I have a Dinner Ale in the clearing cube at the moment that tastes a bit ordinary. Thinking I might even just chuck it.

front_view_tap.jpg

The cleariung cude is sitting on a removable shelf so I can squeeze an extra keg in there..

open_clearing.jpg

nice setup volcano. I hope you graduated from bottling to appreciate it even more :)

I will be getting my keg system for xmas :) just a quick question, what size is your fridge? I will be getting one in the next few weeks so I want to get an idea of what size will take 2 kegs (even better if I can squeeze a plastic jerry in as well). The one you have looks a nice size.

Yeah, I had a 2 year hiatus because I got jack of cleaning bottles.
The fridge is an old 320 litre fridge, and can really only take 2 kegs or 1 keg + the clearing cube.

It is great. Nothing like I expected. I'm getting so into this now it's almost scary.
:)

The only issue I have is this. When I am not drinking I turn off the gas but leave the pressure at 10psi (drinking pressure). When I am ready for a beer, I just turn on the gas.

Only problem is, the first glass is ALWAYS froth. Even if it gets left for an hour or so and then pour another, it foams up. We had a big session on it the other night and after the initial pour it was all roses.

Does this mean the beer is too gassy (doesn't seem over gassed) or that the pouring pressure is too high?

Volcano

I think you have a couple of problems.
You are getting bubbles in the gas line. This is what froths up the beer.

Can try the following:
Leave presure on overnight.
Increase length of beer line - i use 2.5m on each tap. Allows a greater pouring presure due to the presure drop over the length.
Decrease the gassing presure.
Decrease the diameter of the beer line - use 4mm instead of 6mm.

Hope this helps.

Chaps,

Do you leave beer in your lines all the time, or do you clean them out like Pubs do nightly???

Rook

the rook: heheheh i dont know of any pubs that clean out their lines nightly... once a week maybe :)

incidentally.. e-mail on its way :)

I leave beer in my lines - do a clean out maybe once every 3 - 6 months.

With Co2 in there - nothing should grow.

Sorry , I may have mis lead you guys, when I say clean there lines , I mean run water through them, I know our local does it every night.

Rook

I leave beer in my lines.

I clean them each time I clean a keg. I half fill the keg with sterlising and cleaning solution and run it through the beer line and tap.

I then half fill the keg with water shake and run that through the same tap.

The next keg I clean I run it through the other tap.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

where is your link to your Keg and fridge setup?

Rook

Back