My Keezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the spot to post but here she is, my keezer.
P6070486.JPG
Took longer than I thought to build but to be fair I did rebuild it twice (after adjusting)
It is just essentially a box of ply stained to match the dark wood in the rest of the house-SWMBO's condition to let it in the house :huh: surrounding the chest freezer.
The lid simply lifts off (to change/adjust kegs)and fits flush to the top of the chesty when put back in.

Have two 12vdc fans under the hood to circulate the air, and another one drawing air (from between the outside of the chesty and the wooden "shell")

but they're on a timer and only run maybe half a hour every two hours..

The first beer I've poured from her was nearly two months in the fermenter-definitely longer than I wanted :unsure: Baltic porter that I forgot to dry hop ~ 100g of Cascade and forgot to take a FG reading (1st time kegging so will use that excuse) but force carbed and although a little under carbed, still tastes the goods.
Just glad I keep a pretty clean ferment fridge and dark beers are a little forgiving.

Any comments/criticism welcome :icon_cheers:

-Jud

P6070480.JPG

the vent, wanted to make sure that any hot air that builds up can be drawn out through here

looking good mate but gonna agree with Mattyra about the bar mat!

but you cant spell Arsenal with out Arse!

Haha yeah first thing the mrs said when she saw it too...
"Yeah good job,that turned out alright.. Arsenal bar mat kind of ruins it though!"
bloody Liverpool supporters what do they know :lol:

Here's a bit of info on the build of my new keezer:

I ordered two kegerators from Pinnacle, when they arrived they had a couple of dings so I was refunded some money and ended up costing $350 each delivered!

IMG_5553.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

For the font I wanted to do it reasonably cheap and keep it stainless ( I had recently reclaimed man-land from the kids collection of toys and had a stainless vision)..

I ordered two stainless single font towers from Cheekypeak:

IMG_6238.jpg

and one metre length of 304 SS 50.4mm square tube from ebay, to this length I had six holes drilled and 40mm squares cut out with a dremel on the opposite side to allow the nut to be tightened and fix the line etc.

IMG_6187.jpg

and the end of the tube cut to accommodate the font towers so everything lined up flush:

IMG_6188.jpg

I bought some 30mm (I think from memory) brass threaded pipe and cut it into two, the holes on the font towers had to be slightly enlarged to fit them in.

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_6310.jpg

I don't have a photo of it but I cut two squares out of hardwood that only just (required a bit of force) fit inside the square tube, and drilled a hole in the centre only large enough to fit the threaded rod.

By putting the threaded rod through the font tower and into the hardwood it secured the square tube to the font tower, I then also sprayed a bit of expanding foam into the gap between the tower and hardwood square to help tighten everything up- I hope this makes sense I really should have taken a picture!

The 40mm squares at the back of the square tube also allowed some end caps purchased from ebay to close the holes up:

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

For the top I bought an indoor door from Bunnings for ~ $30 from memory, cut down to size and drilled two holes for the lines.

IMG_5941.jpg

I then bought a can of this:

IMG_5944.jpg

and used the whole can to do this:

IMG_5942.jpg

I don't have a pic of this either but bought a 1L two part envirolite liquid glass epoxy resin kit from ebay and coated the top (I had plugged up the holes with expanded foam).

Tip: Buy more than you think you need, I was just shy of having enough to be self-levelling so will probably do another coat down the line as there's a couple spots I'm not happy with.

To the kegerators, removed the Euro tag labels and wrapped the door with some gloss black vinyl wrap from ebay, going from this:

IMG_6179.jpg

I then wrapped the other kegerator and that bit of spacer timber ( to allow access to the 6kg gas cylinder behind the kegerators) in vinyl wrap also:

IMG_6181.jpg

( You can see the epoxy resin on top the kegerators in this pic)

Added all the taps to the tube:

IMG_6325.jpg

The tap decals are all just laminated logos I made up and cut out (I've identified about 20 recipes I will focus on perfecting- about three per tap, so that I have a consistent house ales I can rotate) and are fixed to the tap via a sticky cable tie thingy :p
The good thing is the slight curve fits beautifully with the front of the tap.

IMG_6326.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

Fekn awesome set up. I am jealous of those taps. Thanks for the write up. A different approach to a kegerator.

Thanks mate I'm just glad it actually worked how I thought it could!

Back