My JAO aint fluffy!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep End

Reaction score
Put my first JAO down yesterday, bunged it in the cupboard and waited for the frothing to happen.

It built up about 10mm of head then died in the ass and fell back down? Dont know what the go is there? Anyone?

Its still bubbling away so I guess not too much can go wrong, it was well mixed/aerated before I chucked in the yeast, used Lowan bread yeast if that makes any difference, followed the recipe to a T.

Any answers, thoughts, previous experiences, out of body experiences???

Cheers

Mead doesn't tend to froth like beer does when fermenting. There is very little protein in mead to stabilize the foam. Its the protein in beer that causes the head to remain stable for so long. Look at the difference between beer (high protein) and champagne or cider (low protein) when poured. beer even though at a lower level of carbonation than champagne will keep a head much longer. Same thing when its fermenting - low protein = low foam.

In short - Don't worry, its perfectly normal.

Cheers
Dave

I did a JAO not long ago too. Much the same, a bit of froth to start with then it settled down.

Like you said, there is still activity so nothing to worry about. The Raisins will provide enough nutrient to keep it going.

I have had mine in the bottles for a couple of months now. I love the spices coming through.

Yours will be fine.

Back