My Intro To Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi
Back in the mid 70's I was young, single and having a great time (bugger wish it was still there).
I was seeing a nice young lady that lived not far from me. One Xmas day i called over and chatted to her and her folks, as I was about to leave her father called me over and said take these before you go and enjoy with your family.
He gave me six bottles of beer, three were cold and the other three were warm (all covered with dust). Each bottle had a sticker with the marking of XXXXXX. I did not ask questions as the daughter was a stunner.
Got home and sat down on the table with my father, brother and two brother inlaws. Dad sat at the end of the table as usual.
All glasses were in place and the three cold bottles on the table. We filled our glasses and it looked ok and we all had cheer and taste.
As soon as we tasted my father put his glass down on the table, stood up and said, "Anyone want a fight"
The XXXXXX went down well.
BTW the lady lives just around the corner and we still see each other'
Ray

There was a goup of us a mates place. We got stuck into some of his dads home brew and apple cider, got absolutely wasted, and i managed to lose 16 years of frustration with one of the girls from school.

I thought home brew was the best thing ever :)

ah the seventies those were the days best times,best mates,lots a beer

ah the 2000`s bad times(crime) no mates(all moved away) very little beer(WIFE)

The first homebrew I tried was brewed by my sisters' boyfriend at the time. He was a true K+K man, and used to sit his fermenter on top of his hot water system to ensure a quick ferment...in queensland...in summer.

Yes, the end result was a bit fruity, had a bit of a twang and was always so over carbonated that it always tried to escape your glass.

A mate of mine and I were seeing a couple of young ladies at Cape Jervis about 10 years ago. Shortly after meeting his girl's father I was handed one brew after another. Headache in a bottle but being the polite young man that I was how could I refuse.

K+K open fermented in a lined plastic garbage bin. He swore by the stuff. Good times apparently!

I was in Grade 11 and one of my mates said "hey if we make our own beer, then we can get really drunk for only 20c a stubby!". And the rest is history.....

Back about 200 years ago, went to a mates place, his older brother and a bloke called "Black Jack" were drinking "Homebrew" out of jugs, diped straight into open 44 Gal, hot, flies mozzies and all.
All they said was it tasted like shit, but got you pissed real quick.
After a very small sample, said I would never drink again.
Boy, how wrong was I
Normell

First HB I ever tried was knocked off from the father of a girl I knew's shed. Warm and almost undrinkable, but a steady supply of free grog... I was 15 OK...

Shawn.

well seems i`m not the only one corrupted by an ex girlfriends father lol
first taste of the home brew was made in a lined open rubbish bin by the old ******* and he gladly shared the results of his toil, major headaches from that stuf and a nasty habit of enjoying brewing my own now lol

Back