My Honey Wheat Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber_quench

Reaction score
Hey guys,

2 weeks ago I did a Honey wheat beer, It fermented like no ones business, bubbles coming out of everywhere! The OG was 1.0050 and has been stuck at 1.0020. So yesterday I repitched the yeast to try and get it down to 1.0010 or below. It seems not to budge, Should I leave it for another day or two or just bottle it? I don't want a light beer!!!

* 1.050/1.020/1.010

Apart from that, what temperature are you fermenting at, what was the recipe, and what yeast have you used?

It'll help us find the cause of this stuck ferment... Depending upon the ingredients and processes used, it may very well have finished at 1.020, although it is preeeeetty high.

Id be looking at warming it up a couple of degrees, once again, depending upon fermenting temperatures atm

Sponge

Yeah sorry Sponge I realised my gravity reading was wrong after posting, I'm not sure of the temp as I have no way of telling, It is in the corner in my loungroom where a heatpump is so it would be mostly between 15-28 degrees. I did put too much hot water in initially hence the crazy initial fermentation. It was a Thomas Coopers wort can.

I assume you have pitched yeast too hot and have killed a lot of the little buggers and therefore it wont go any lower,
you can pitch some more yeast to finish off and look at getting someway of measuring temps, make sure they are low enough for pitching, 18-23c ideally
and find a place for your FV thats a little more stable.

Yea, definitely look at getting a temperature controlled area to ferment in. Yeast prefer more stable temps, and will result in a much better beer, especially if you keep between 17-22'C or so (for ale yeast of course)

Have a look around for a free/cheap fridge and search on ebay for a cheap digital controller, like the ever popular STC1000

It'll improve your beers 10 fold for <$30

Sponge

Thanks sponge, yeah as with most hobbies I have slowly bought the more priority things first and will next get somethong along those lines...Will my beer definetly be 2 and a half percent AV? I'll bottle tomorrow if no action.

From 1.050 to 1.020, i calculate around 4% beer... might be a little sweeter than you anticipated due to the high FG, but should definitely be more alcoholic than just 2.5%

And as I'm sure many people will agree, controlling fermentation temperatures is definitely one of the more priority things a new homebrewer can do.

That... and cleaning.

Sponge

Yea thats a little more like 2.5-2.6%...

Gravity is still sitting on 1.020?

yeah, bottled it yesterday...any chance it will ferment more in the bottle?

Id be hoping not, or else youll have bottle bombs on your hands.. can lead to some real serious damage to yourself and surroundings.

I'd be keeping a real close eye on these, and each week, possibly crack one open just to make sure theyre not carbonating excessively quickly.

If they are, you can always take the lids off and re-bottle to reduce that pressure a bit, but id be tipping them out if they were pressurising quickly - especially if using glass bottles

Sponge

Thanks mate, I store them in closed box outside so if none are broken hopefully my chances of no bottle bombs is nice and high...

Sall good mate.

I'd still be quite cautious with them none the less, and open one up every week just to make sure theyre not already gushing in the first couple of weeks. could end up real nasty

Sponge

Back