My Helles Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morry

Reaction score
With my beer fridge soon to be empty of a fermenter, its time to brew another lager.
I was thinking of a munich helles style and heres the recipe I came up with on beertools. Please tell me what you think and how to improve it.

-3.5 kg LME (I have a bit lying around)
-Specialty grains? Im not really sure what to use here. Light munich grains??
-Perle for bittering to 20IBU
- Tettnanger for flavour and aroma. (Because I havent used it before)
-Wyeast 2007 (Because I already have it)

Probably wont dry hop, because all the good helles' Ive had, have had more of a malty nose than a hoppy one. So maybe 10g or something for the aroma hops.

Fermentation, just like I have previously. 2 weeks primary fermentation @10 deg, 1 week @ 10 deg, then lager at ~1 for about a month.

Cheers in advance,

Sean

Morry, I have done a couple of helles so am not an expert but I have used about 150g of Melanoidin malt with the base pilsner malt and that has given it a nice malty flavour. Light munich would also be fine but I guess a bit more than the 150g of melanoidin.

I have only used Hallertau in this so far but Pearle should be fine. Don't bother about late hop addition or keep them small, as you said this is not meant to be a hoppy style.

Wyeast munich lager is also very nice with this.

Sure it will be tasty no matter which way you go :D

i agree with Jason y - i have used both yeasts - 2007 & 2008 - i prefer 2008.

Dry hop with 10 gms of saaz - that will work nice.

Cold condition for 4 -6 weeks.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys. So would the 150g melanoidin be enough, or should another grain be added?

Might have to give the 2008 a go when Ive finished my 2007, it should be able to do the job.

I reckon that 150g melanoidin will be enough. There should be plenty of malt flavour from the LME, and the low hop rate will allow that to shine through.
The object is to obtain a pale beer isn't it? Not too much coloured malt, then.
I've only made one Helles (ag) and I used Bavarian lager yeast, but 2007 or 2008 should be fine too.

Had a glance at what Daniels says about Helles: i would steep or mash a fair bit of carapils malt, maybe with some Pilsner malt in addition to the LME.

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back