My Fridge Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchman82

Reaction score
This is my weekend project that i did this week.... took my kelvinator 380L fridge-freezer combo, scored some stainless that wasnt being used from work.. 1L of high gloss enamel, 1 mate with a compressor and a spray-gun...

End product, this kickass fridge... Total cost (not inc taps) 30 bucks.

DSC02747.JPG

yet more pics,
hope you all like my bar also... .the whole setup is getting quite out of hand! :D

DSC02749.JPG

This is what the doors looked like b4, the rest of the fridge was similar to this... just mild surface rust discoloration that came off with scotch-brite..

If you all were wondering, the gas line was in the side of the fridge before i put it in this position (i was considering re-drilling a hole in the back, too much work already done this weekend, if i get desperate i will grommet the hole and do it) and the line runs below my patio and back up again underneath my bar where the cyl is kept.

DSC02743.JPG

just an inside pic.... i used metal sleeves (or standoffs if you prefer) to get the taps real tight..

the taps were 130 with line and fittings. i also run a T-Piece for the gas line to keep both kegs pumping.

DSC02751.JPG

I gotta figure out how to put all these pics in one msg.

This is pretty much the bar as it looks now, there is another 120L fridge i run behind the bar for coke and crap for the missus. Oh and if anyones thinking, the whole thing (fridge, and bar) are chained to the balcony rails. JUST IN CASE.

HEHE

gotta get me some polish now and get that fridge nice n shiny.

There also is a tap i plumbed up with garden hose for me to rinse glasses on the railing edge there.

and yes that is me with the wife-beater blue singlet.

DSC02753.JPG

Nice setup....

Nice Fridge and Bar, gotta love stainless!!

I'm building a house that will be ready for all my toys in about 3 months, got a nice collection going but I think my Bar is going to have to be huge.

The pool table is only half finished, but check out the pool table light and Diamond plate aluminium put into the timber.
Some of the other items: Fonts, Taps, Party Keg, Converted chest freezer with two single chrome fonts (thanks GMK), cold plate and box for portability and 2 x 50lt kegs.

DCP04700.JPG

DCP04695.JPG

DCP04697.JPG

DCP04706.JPG

DCP04704.JPG

AshTreeBrewery said:
I'm building a house that will be ready for all my toys in about 3 months, got a nice collection going but I think my Bar is going to have to be huge.
Some things I just never think of myself even when they are so simple. I'm off to tape my kegs beer line just like you have :)
Mine are a real mess and are always getting in the way.
I'd love to know where you get those tap handles. They look great.
Do you reckon they'd fit onto these kind of taps?
http://www.andale.com.au/category/tap3.html

Probobaly not Thunder, the taps I have use screws in the side of the handles, not in the base. Go ebay, search tap handles worldwide and you can pick them up for as little at $5 USD plus postage ($10 USD) so for $25 Aussie dollars, you can get a brand new one or something that looks as good. There is literally thousand avialable in the US and UK.

nice gear dude.... i was aiming for the Minimalist effect and leaving all the fancy shiny gear out. (not a big fan of advertising on taps) as its all setup on a balcony thats like 5m off the ground and most of the neighbors can see it also... dont wanna make it too attractive to steal.

im just stoaked that the fridge only cost me 30 bucks to get done up like that, and the bar was a measly few hundred bucks also... and i even got it delivered for free!!!

i think the wife would get upset if i did much more than i already have done. so im gonna have to buy her that dishwasher shes been whingin about.

Just a query, where did you score the drip trays from?? ive been after one for a while. also, is there any practicall advantage to coilin your beer lines like that??? i heard a rumor that it reduces the eneveteble "1st froth" when you pour the first beer of the day.

Burchman82 said:
also, is there any practicall advantage to coilin your beer lines like that??? i heard a rumor that it reduces the eneveteble "1st froth" when you pour the first beer of the day.
I don't know about you but I always find that what's left in the beer line overnight has gone flat so I give the tap a quick squirt into a spare glass to get rid of it, froth and all. After that it's all good. I coiled the beer line up last night like in AshTreeBrewery's picture and it pours just like it was un-coiled.

AshTreeBrewery said:
Go ebay, search tap handles worldwide and you can pick them up for as little at $5 USD plus postage
Thanks I'll go have a look.

Burchman 82

is the stainless all over the outside of the fridge or just the front? I cant work out what bit you sprayed ,It looks really nice classy really

Pumpy

[/QUOTE](Burchman82 @ Jan 17 2005, 03:11 PM)
also, is there any practicall advantage to coilin your beer lines like that??? i heard a rumor that it reduces the eneveteble "1st froth" when you pour the first beer of the day.
I was getting alot of foam with 5mm line at about 2 meters length. Changed to 4mm line and have 3 meters now, pours pretty much perfectly.

What do you clean the party keg with???(internally that is)

Just keg cleaner I use for my stainless kegs. Worked fine and I've used it for a few brews since. When it runs out of beer I keep it gased and in the fridge until i'm ready to use it again. Stays sealed so I only have to flush it out with clean water before refilling it with another brew. Saves alot of time cleaning.

Pumpy, the front is the only stainless part. looks better that way i think... the sides are an ultra gloss taubmans black paint, rrp for 27bucks i think.

I used a compressor and gun to get it on there also, so its DAMN glossy... as you can see.

Back