My First Square Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickTed

Reaction score
Mate got me some of these DI water drums from work.

See how I go cleaning it.

Might have to pay some kid with a skinny arm to scrub it.

secondary.jpg

I've used a few of the ESB fresh wort containers (also square) as fermenters, and haven't had a problem cleaning them using Pink Stain.
I have found that I don't get as quite a good attenuation from the yeast out of them though. I know this as I've pitched the same yeast into the tranditional round fermenter and the ESB fresh wort container from the same brew.

Doc

i was just thinking about using similar containers to brew at lower temps through the use of my bar fridge but havent figured how im going to fit an air lock as the cube itself only just clears the freezer

I've brewed in a 25L drum before and often brew small batches in Grumpy's 17L wort kit containers. Never done anything so sophisticated as check my attenuation, though.

Maybe a blow of tube out of the side,but as high up as youcan get it. :)

Interesting Doc, theres obviously reasons why some breweries still use square fermenters in the UK. Other than tradition that is.

Maybe you could incorporate an Oztops lid in place of an airlock. Or you could do the slightly less radical blow off tube.

Kai Posted Today, 12:56 PM
I've brewed in a 25L drum before and often brew small batches in Grumpy's 17L wort kit containers...

I have a very soft spot for the little Grumpy's ONE containers. Did my first ever AG in one 'cos I can't mash and boil a normal size AG batch. Needless to say, it turned out magnificently.
My smallest fermenter was a 2l plastic milk container. I did a tiny brew to check the taste of Simcoe hops the first time I got my hands on them. Needless to say, that too turned out magnificently.

Further down the track I do have my eye on the 2000l rainwater tank out the back.
Now that's fermenting!!!

kook said:
Interesting Doc, theres obviously reasons why some breweries still use square fermenters in the UK. Other than tradition that is.
[post="68716"][/post]​

But their square fermenters are probably flat bottomed.
The ESB containers have two wells in the bottom. I think because the yeat ends up settling in these wells, rather than settling on a greater surface area (ie on a flat bottomed fermenter), it may have something to do with it.

Beers,
Doc

I have one of the 25L cubes with two wells in the bottom....I have been thinking that if you balance the cube on its back edge (supported properly of course)...it is posssible that the yeast will fall into the rear well....keeping the bulk of the yeast out of the front well where the tap is....could be a good way of trapping the bulk of the yeast when racking into a secondary vessel...it would oviously have to be tilted back to normal, but I reckon the yeast would stay put in the rear well...something to try anyway...can't hurt

Bilph said:
Further down the track I do have my eye on the 2000l rainwater tank out the back.
Now that's fermenting!!!
[post="68720"][/post]​

:lol: :super:
has to be done..! Pre filled fermenter too...!!!

KoNG said:
Bilph said:
Now that's fermenting!!!
[post="68720"][/post]​

[post="68771"][/post]​

Mind you. Getting 2000l to the boil is going to take more than a NASA...

Cheers
Dave

Barl
Don't worry about using an airlock.
Just stretch some cling wrap over where the lid would go & maybe put a pin hole in it & hold it in place with a lackey.
You'll be able to monitor fermentation with your hydro & by krausen build-up etc.
Jim.

Airgead said:
KoNG said:
Bilph said:
Now that's fermenting!!!
[post="68720"][/post]​

[post="68771"][/post]​

Mind you. Getting 2000l to the boil is going to take more than a NASA...

Cheers
Dave
[post="68783"][/post]​

And maybe get Batz to organise the bulk grain order :ph34r: :lol:

Cheers

Jim - Perth said:
Barl
Don't worry about using an airlock.
Just stretch some cling wrap over where the lid would go & maybe put a pin hole in it & hold it in place with a lackey.
You'll be able to monitor fermentation with your hydro & by krausen build-up etc.
Jim.
[post="68801"][/post]​
might try that when i get back from my trip to asia in sept and the fridge control, that i bought today should be together by then. cheers mate and here was i thinking of a right angle fitting in the lid with a tube running down the side and back up again as the air lock

Back