Quantcast

My First Square Beer

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dickTed

Well-Known Member
Joined
28/11/04
Messages
262
Reaction score
0
Mate got me some of these DI water drums from work.

See how I go cleaning it.

Might have to pay some kid with a skinny arm to scrub it.

secondary.jpg
 

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
I've used a few of the ESB fresh wort containers (also square) as fermenters, and haven't had a problem cleaning them using Pink Stain.
I have found that I don't get as quite a good attenuation from the yeast out of them though. I know this as I've pitched the same yeast into the tranditional round fermenter and the ESB fresh wort container from the same brew.

Doc
 

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Joined
30/1/05
Messages
6,167
Reaction score
784
i was just thinking about using similar containers to brew at lower temps through the use of my bar fridge but havent figured how im going to fit an air lock as the cube itself only just clears the freezer
 

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Joined
1/4/04
Messages
3,734
Reaction score
17
I've brewed in a 25L drum before and often brew small batches in Grumpy's 17L wort kit containers. Never done anything so sophisticated as check my attenuation, though.
 

Mr Bond

Well-Known Member
Joined
2/7/05
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
2
Maybe a blow of tube out of the side,but as high up as youcan get it. :)
 

kook

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/12/02
Messages
2,358
Reaction score
4
Interesting Doc, theres obviously reasons why some breweries still use square fermenters in the UK. Other than tradition that is.
 

barfridge

Small fridge, powerful thirst
Joined
14/5/04
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1
Maybe you could incorporate an Oztops lid in place of an airlock. Or you could do the slightly less radical blow off tube.
 

Bilph

Well-Known Member
Joined
26/1/05
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Kai Posted Today, 12:56 PM
I've brewed in a 25L drum before and often brew small batches in Grumpy's 17L wort kit containers...
I have a very soft spot for the little Grumpy's ONE containers. Did my first ever AG in one 'cos I can't mash and boil a normal size AG batch. Needless to say, it turned out magnificently.
My smallest fermenter was a 2l plastic milk container. I did a tiny brew to check the taste of Simcoe hops the first time I got my hands on them. Needless to say, that too turned out magnificently.

Further down the track I do have my eye on the 2000l rainwater tank out the back.
Now that's fermenting!!!
 

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Joined
7/12/02
Messages
7,713
Reaction score
38
Location
Sydney
kook said:
Interesting Doc, theres obviously reasons why some breweries still use square fermenters in the UK. Other than tradition that is.
[post="68716"][/post]​
But their square fermenters are probably flat bottomed.
The ESB containers have two wells in the bottom. I think because the yeat ends up settling in these wells, rather than settling on a greater surface area (ie on a flat bottomed fermenter), it may have something to do with it.

Beers,
Doc
 

Bidtfaun

Well-Known Member
Joined
6/7/05
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
I have one of the 25L cubes with two wells in the bottom....I have been thinking that if you balance the cube on its back edge (supported properly of course)...it is posssible that the yeast will fall into the rear well....keeping the bulk of the yeast out of the front well where the tap is....could be a good way of trapping the bulk of the yeast when racking into a secondary vessel...it would oviously have to be tilted back to normal, but I reckon the yeast would stay put in the rear well...something to try anyway...can't hurt
 

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Joined
21/1/05
Messages
1,615
Reaction score
2
Bilph said:
Further down the track I do have my eye on the 2000l rainwater tank out the back.
Now that's fermenting!!!
[post="68720"][/post]​
:lol: :super:
has to be done..! Pre filled fermenter too...!!!
 

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Joined
6/4/05
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
1,052
KoNG said:
Bilph said:
Further down the track I do have my eye on the 2000l rainwater tank out the back.
Now that's fermenting!!!
[post="68720"][/post]​
:lol: :super:
has to be done..! Pre filled fermenter too...!!!
[post="68771"][/post]​
Mind you. Getting 2000l to the boil is going to take more than a NASA...

Cheers
Dave
 

Jim - Perth

Well-Known Member
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
111
Reaction score
1
Barl
Don't worry about using an airlock.
Just stretch some cling wrap over where the lid would go & maybe put a pin hole in it & hold it in place with a lackey.
You'll be able to monitor fermentation with your hydro & by krausen build-up etc.
Jim.
 

quincy

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/11/04
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
Airgead said:
KoNG said:
Bilph said:
Further down the track I do have my eye on the 2000l rainwater tank out the back.
Now that's fermenting!!!
[post="68720"][/post]​
:lol: :super:
has to be done..! Pre filled fermenter too...!!!
[post="68771"][/post]​
Mind you. Getting 2000l to the boil is going to take more than a NASA...

Cheers
Dave
[post="68783"][/post]​
And maybe get Batz to organise the bulk grain order :ph34r: :lol:

Cheers
 

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Joined
30/1/05
Messages
6,167
Reaction score
784
Jim - Perth said:
Barl
Don't worry about using an airlock.
Just stretch some cling wrap over where the lid would go & maybe put a pin hole in it & hold it in place with a lackey.
You'll be able to monitor fermentation with your hydro & by krausen build-up etc.
Jim.
[post="68801"][/post]​
might try that when i get back from my trip to asia in sept and the fridge control, that i bought today should be together by then. cheers mate and here was i thinking of a right angle fitting in the lid with a tube running down the side and back up again as the air lock
 

Latest posts

Top