My First Slants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remi

Reaction score
Well, in the ever increasing gadget-fest that is my homebrewing career to date, I decided to start yeast farming- partly to be able to re-use yeast strains I like, but also because it appealed to the science nerd in me.

Anyway, after much reading of the forum archives, I picked up some basic lab gear- test tubes, beakers, funnels etc, purchased a second hand stir plate ($60 on the bay), and made some slants which I sterilised in my pressure cooker- which goes to 15psi/ 121C.

Just wanted to post some pics as I think the slants turned out quite well- and after a week there is a nice growth of Wyeast 1318 London Ale III happening.

I love this hobby.....

remi
The_Gear.jpeg
Shiny.jpeg
Blankslant.jpeg
Wyeast1318.jpeg

That's one mean looking, arse kicking stir plate there remi. Good luck on the slants. Just preparing to go in that direction myself.

Cheers, Hoges.

Out of interest, was the stir plate an australian sale? or an international seller?

I've been keeping an eye out on and off but have only ever seen american sellers, and given the price of a stepdown transformer for that kind of wattage I've been reluctant to risk buying one from the states because it's rarely evident whether they're dual voltage or not

boooodiful remi, just booodiful

its a nice hobby in the hobby :icon_cheers:

Out of interest, was the stir plate an australian sale? or an international seller?

I've been keeping an eye out on and off but have only ever seen american sellers, and given the price of a stepdown transformer for that kind of wattage I've been reluctant to risk buying one from the states because it's rarely evident whether they're dual voltage or not

Yeah- it was an international sale, already had a step-down transformer rated for 750W, so wasn't too fussed about that. Not too many Australian sales on the bay in the couple of months that I was looking....

Just make one - All the parts available at Jaycar - Even someone as tool challenged as me had no problem with this project :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

Just make one - All the parts available at Jaycar - Even someone as tool challenged as me had no problem with this project :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

Not worried about the tool challenge, it's a trivial job I agree. Just dont have the time :p Oh well, I guess I'll have to make the time

Latest posts

Back