My First Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nifty

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just tasted my first crack at a partial mash porter and it is really nice. It has only been 2 weeks in the bottle, but it is already my best beer yet.

I got the idea to do it and the recipe from this thread - Porter thread

I just mucked around with the ingredients in Beersmith until it looked ok and gave it a go. I wasn't sure about the mash schedule, so I just went with what I normally do when I partial mash, and it worked out ok.

Here is the grain bill etc, if anyone has any ideas on improving it feel free to comment.

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 30/12/2004
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Brewer: Nifty
Boil Size: 15.50 L
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Partial Mash Equipment

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.70 kg Light Malt Extract - Australia (7.0 EBC) Extract 32.2 %
1.85 kg Ale Malt (2 Row) - Australia (5.0 EBC) Grain 35.0 %
1.15 kg Munich Malt Light -Australia (18.0 EBC) Grain 21.8 %
0.35 kg Crystal Malt - Australia (130.0 EBC) Grain 6.6 %
0.23 kg Chocolate Malt (800.0 EBC) Grain 4.4 %
60.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.25 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 10.75 L of water at 73.9 C 67.0 C 75 min
Step Add 2.00 L of water at 98.0 C 10 min

Cheers

nifty

Looks good, next time try it with whitelabs irish ale, i really like that yeast with porters.
I did a porter for my first par mash made from Jayse' recipe, was bloody good and is still one of my favourite beers to make.

Nifty
Looks to be a pretty good porter. But now you have tasted it, you be the judge. Want it more bready/malty? Maybe a bit more Munich. Want it with a little more caramel sweetness? Try a bit more crystal. Or less. Personally I use a bit more in a porter, but maybe you are getting a bit from the extract. Does it lack a crisp background charcoal taste to balance the other flavours? Try 1% black malt. Is it really close but just needs a different balance or texture? Try a different yeast. Porters are a very forgiving style to mess with. I havent been able to make an undrinkable one.

I'll have to try the irish ale yeast, but I've only been using liquid yeast for the last 4 brews, 3 apa's with california ale yeast, and the porter and I'm not sure if I can tell the difference yet. I suppose after a few more brews with different yeasts I'll start to be able to tell the different characteristics etc.

GL, now that I have my first one under my belt I'll start experimenting. The next brew will be all grain, so I'm looking forward to that.
When the wort was on the boil, the whole house and yard smelt like coffee and chocolate, it was great. Even the dog (my assistant brewer)was impressed.

nifty said:
I'll have to try the irish ale yeast, but I've only been using liquid yeast for the last 4 brews, 3 apa's with california ale yeast, and the porter and I'm not sure if I can tell the difference yet. I suppose after a few more brews with different yeasts I'll start to be able to tell the different characteristics etc.
Yeast experimentation is a great thing to try. I've done several different batches of the same rbew with different yeasts now, and can pick the difference. Doing different brews with different yeasts, it can be hard to learn to pick the signature of each yeast.

Snow held a brew day last year where we made 60L and split it into 3 different lots with 3 different yeasts. The difference in the taste of the resulting beers was astounding.

well done nifty.i love making porters.
try making one with some rauchmalt to give you a fabulous smoked porter.
you will be impressed.

cheers
big d

Hmmmm try some brown malt. . .:)

Seriously, try a mix of 450g choc malt, 50g roast barley, crystal malt if you want, I don't really think it is necessary.

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be making porters for a while I think.

As I am going all grain next time, Beersmith has helped in upping the quantities of malt, but what about the hops ? Will i need to increase the amount used ??

anywhere between 35-50 ibu.brown porters lower ibu robust porters higher ibu.
love porters with northern brewer for bittering and ekg for flavour/aroma.

cheers
big d

Back