My First Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
OK Guys, I'm not sure if i will go the E.S.B. Czech Pilsener or the Morgans Golden Saaz and dry hop with extra Saaz. Either way my fridge will be too cold to ferment in, it goes down to about 2.5 deg. So i think i could keep it at about 15deg in a tub of cold water and towels.
Anyway my question is, if i ferment at about 15deg, i guess it will be a 5 or 6 day ferment, once it has completely fermented or 3/4 fermented should i then rack into a second airlocked fermenter (and add Saaz hops) and then refridgerate at 1 or 2 deg for a few weeks.

Let it ferment out in primary, rack to secondary for a week or so then cc in the fridge. You can rack again or not before the cc - I do. After the secondary you can also let it have a diacetyl rest in the low 20s for 24-48 hrs before cc.

Hey there SWJ.... your fridge will be heaps easier to brew at lager temps than the water bath method.....get an indoor/outdoor temp display from tandy or wherever...place the outdoor temp probe in the fridge and run the cable through the seal...silcone the hole up....now run the fridge on a timer....get one with 15min intervals...turn the fridge thermostat to coldest setting...now experiment with various on off cycles......i use 45 mins on then 1.5 hrs off for a 200L fridge to stay at 10 C...every set up will obviousely be different...will maintain within 1-2 C...works really well....

cheers

I've got an old cc'ing fridge that at it's warmest is 10 degrees celcius and at it's coldest is 1 degree celcius.

:chug:

Back