My First Partial!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I finished brewing my first partial last night- yay!! :)

Going to GMK's all grain day inspired me to keep pushimg myself to expect better and better beers from my home brew. So, with my eighth batch, I made it a partial.

I decided to have a simple recipe, so I used:

1 Coopers IPA can
1500g traditional malt
100g brown sugar

I rang up GMK a bit before I began to get a few tips on what I should do- he's the one who suggested the sugar; he also gave me some good advice, which was really handy, made it less like a blind man walking through a minefield :D

It went pretty smoothly. My parents didn't appreciate the smell of the mash through the house for some reason but overall it went well. I filled up to 16L and pitched the yeast after some cooling down.

I tasted the wort at pitching, and it seems pretty good, I look forward to it- especially since I just got a keg, so it'll be my first kegged beer as well!!

You guys are having a crazy influence over me...

:beerbang:

Great stuff.

Watching and supervising enzymes at work is magic.

Won't be long and you will be telling us about your first ag.

Your forum level actually matches your brewing level!

well done - 16ltrs - that will be around 15 in the keg...

What was the OG....and i hope it is bubbling away now....

The OG was 1054, and when I woke up this morning (I pitched the yeast at 11.00; I woke up at 7) the gravity had already fallen to 1050, so it's certainly starting to get going. Haven't made a reading since I got back from uni; I'll take one tomorrow to check up.

Pint- yeah, I didn't notice that! Ken said that I was on the slippery slope, so maybe it won't be a as long before ag as I thought!

I can't understand what people don't like about that smell?
I drove past "worst end" today and have to admit, I love the smell of brewing!

Nice work P&K!

Yeah, I quite like the smell as well!

the sg has dropped quite a bit, which is quite strange- it's gone from 1054-1033 already! and it's only been a day! :blink:

Back