My First Partial- Epic Pale Ale With A Twist.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hey all I am looking to enter a local competition under BJCP style guidelines and it is USIPA beers. We have our seasons worth of US Hops and I picked up some Cascade and Zythos.
I also had a failed other brew when I tried grain and so held onto some Riwaka from that that I had intended to DH with.

My Recipe goes like this:

Rehydrate US05 yeast in 100ml of boiled water cooled to < 30C

GRAINS steep at 65-70C for 30 minutes in a minimum of 3.15 litres of water

Medium Crystal 120 0.35 kg
Caramalt Malt (BB) 0.55 kg
CaraHell 0.15 kg

and rinse the grains (sparge) in a minimum of 3.15 litres of water at 65-70C

Make the Hop Boil Volume up to 7 Litres

Bring Boil SG to 1.040 add either 243 g DME or 295 g LME

Bring to rolling boil (add 0.5 whirlfloc tablet 10 minutes from end of boil)
HOPS add Cascade 10 g 75 Mins
Cascade 30 g 30 Mins
D Saaz 30 g 10 Mins
Cascade 30 g 10 Mins
Cascade 50 g 0 Mins
Cascade 50 g 0 Mins

DME Light Dry Malt 0.5 kg less any added above

add remainder of DME about 5 minutes from the end of the boil plus any adjuncts, LME and Kits

ADJUNCTS

LME Black Rock Unhopped Light Dissolve the remaining LME

KIT

Cool the resulting wort (can be achieved by adding to ice/cold water in fermenter)
Add to Fermenter and make up to 23 Litres with hot or cold water to adjust the temperature

When below 22C pitch ale yeast or if using lager yeast cool to below 14C before pitching

Predicted OG 1.061 IBU 44.2
FG 1.017 EBC 22.1
%alc Keg Bottle 6.0

BULK PRIME 105 Dextrose 2.0 Vols CO2
BOTTLE

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

I have never (successfully) used Riwaka but only have the amount currently going in there. I am not sure if all the Cascade will hide it or weather it isn't being used right...

Helloooo... Is anyone there :blink: ? Any advise at all? Otherwise I'll just go ahead and put this badboy down this weekend.

Hey all I am looking to enter a local competition under BJCP style guidelines and it is USIPA beers. We have our seasons worth of US Hops and I picked up some Cascade and Zythos.
I also had a failed other brew when I tried grain and so held onto some Riwaka from that that I had intended to DH with.

My Recipe goes like this:

Rehydrate US05 yeast in 100ml of boiled water cooled to < 30C

GRAINS steep at 65-70C for 30 minutes in a minimum of 3.15 litres of water

Medium Crystal 120 0.35 kg
Caramalt Malt (BB) 0.55 kg
CaraHell 0.15 kg

and rinse the grains (sparge) in a minimum of 3.15 litres of water at 65-70C

Make the Hop Boil Volume up to 7 Litres

Bring Boil SG to 1.040 add either 243 g DME or 295 g LME

Bring to rolling boil (add 0.5 whirlfloc tablet 10 minutes from end of boil)
HOPS add Cascade 10 g 75 Mins
Cascade 30 g 30 Mins
D Saaz 30 g 10 Mins
Cascade 30 g 10 Mins
Cascade 50 g 0 Mins
Cascade 50 g 0 Mins

DME Light Dry Malt 0.5 kg less any added above

add remainder of DME about 5 minutes from the end of the boil plus any adjuncts, LME and Kits

ADJUNCTS

LME Black Rock Unhopped Light Dissolve the remaining LME

KIT

Cool the resulting wort (can be achieved by adding to ice/cold water in fermenter)
Add to Fermenter and make up to 23 Litres with hot or cold water to adjust the temperature

When below 22C pitch ale yeast or if using lager yeast cool to below 14C before pitching

Predicted OG 1.061 IBU 44.2
FG 1.017 EBC 22.1
%alc Keg Bottle 6.0

BULK PRIME 105 Dextrose 2.0 Vols CO2
BOTTLE

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

I have never (successfully) used Riwaka but only have the amount currently going in there. I am not sure if all the Cascade will hide it or weather it isn't being used right...

Looks like a recipe for beer to me.

Haha I know but I am after reasonable quality at this stage... so just keen for hop/malt feedback to see if the balance if fine or not.

Yep.

Firstly steeping grains is not a partial. Common misconception (I think I made it when i first started using grain). Partial refers to partial mash and requires some of your fermentable sugar coming from mashing base malt, not flavour and colour from steeping specialty malt.

Secondly you seem to have way too much crystal malt in there and that, combined with malt extract will probably give you an underattenuated, cloyingly sweet caramel beer. I am assuming a final volume of around 20 L unless I missed it in your post. You have close to 1kg crystal which is far too high for that volume of beer. Forgive me if I misread.

44 IBU is good for apa rather than AIPA. That's not something I care about if the beer looks well balanced in one way or another but if you are entering a comp with bjcp in mind you will be out of style.

Personally I'd go ~80% pale malt extract base, add about ~15 % briess munich extract if you can get it and steep some briess victory malt grain (around 2.5%). Then steep some simpsons medium, dark or heritage crystal to make up the rest.

Hop to between 45 and 55 IBU and enter as an apa or ipa if at the higher end. Hop higher than 50 and enter as an ipa or enter a bottle in both categories.

Use all cascade, get at least 50 % of your IBU from additions every 5 mins after 25 mins (so 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0)

Dry hop to taste after fermentation as finished.

Use US05 or Wy 1272.

Brilliant. I will go back and apply some of these changes. I can get Munch just not Victory Malt this side of the ditch. Will look into the appropriate sub for it though.

Yep.

Firstly steeping grains is not a partial. Common misconception (I think I made it when i first started using grain). Partial refers to partial mash and requires some of your fermentable sugar coming from mashing base malt, not flavour and colur from steeping specialty malt.

Secondly you seem to have way too much crystal malt in there and that, combined with malt extract will probably give you an underattenuated, cloyingly sweet caramel beer. I am assuming a final volume of around 20 L unless I missed it in your post. You have close to 1kg crystal which is far too high for that volume of beer. Forgive me if I misread.

44 IBU is good for apa rather than AIPA. That's not something I care about if the beer looks well balanced in one way or another but if you are entering a comp with bjcp in mind you will be out of style.

Personally I'd go ~80% pale malt extract base, add about ~15 % briess munich extract if you can get it and steep some briess victory malt grain (around 2.5%). Then steep some simpsons medium, dark or heritage crystal to make up the rest.

Hop to between 45 and 55 IBU and enter as an apa or ipa if at the higher end. Hop higher than 50 and enter as an ipa or enter a bottle in both categories.

Use all cascade, get at least 50 % of your IBU from additions every 5 mins after 25 mins (so 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0)

Dry hop to taste after fermentation as finished.

Use US05 or Wy 1272.

If briess have a vienna extract that you can avail yourself of easily, then that would be my next port of call. Biscuit malt is the best grain substitute* but biscuit needs to be mashed with other malt that has surplus enzymes. Anything that has the descriptor 'nutty/toasty' will be what you are after. It's a small contribution but adds complexity to the malt profile which a good hoppy beer should have to my palate.

* biscuit malt is my favourite - I use victory as a sub for biscuit as I often can't get biscuit.

PS: when you say you can get munich, do you mean a munich extract which is what I was referring to? Briess and weyerman both make them.

If the munich you get is a grain, you will need to mash it. Not dissimilar in process for you compared with steeping but different inside the grain itself and you need to be more specific with your temperatures etc.

That would make it a partial mash brew though.

Brilliant. I will go back and apply some of these changes. I can get Munch just not Victory Malt this side of the ditch. Will look into the appropriate sub for it though.

Also just noticed you read I had 1kg of Crystal. As far as I am aware I only have 350g unless another of my malts is a type of crystal?

If briess have a vienna extract that you can avail yourself of easily, then that would be my next port of call. Biscuit malt is the best grain substitute* but biscuit needs to be mashed with other malt that has surplus enzymes. Anything that has the descriptor 'butty/toasty' will be what you are after. It's a small contribution but adds complexity to the malt profile which a good hoppy beer should have to my palate.

* biscuit malt is my favourite - I use vitory as a sub for biscuit as I often can't get biscuit.

Oh yes we have Vienna and Biscuit malt so I will pick up some of this =)

Back