My First Mash.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
Following on from another thread that I just read and hopefully this will help someone other than myself.

I am slowly getting together the equipment needed for my first mini mash.

So far I have:

20L SS pan
SS Sieve
Digital scales
SS whisk and spoon

I already own a big old square esky which is around 35L and a basic fermentation set up. Also I am looking to gather some glass bottles and have 20 Grolsch flip tops and several 375ml ones but as yet no caps or capper. I looked at camping type gas (butane) burners today at kmart and they were $20 for a single burner set up and 6 cannisters of gas were a suprisingly cheap $6 - the only thing that held me back was the BTU rating of 7,200 which I need to confirm will heat and be able to be easily and quickly regulated when needed. SWMBO has put her foot down on me cooking exotic beers in her kitchen!

I want to have all the gear ready for my first brew day so as I dont get caught with my pants down so to speak and am running to the usual tight budget so may need a week or 3 to get it all together but have already cleared it with SWMBO.

So, what am I missing and is it essential?

This is an excellent site will help you find what you need

ODDBALL said:
Following on from another thread that I just read and hopefully this will help someone other than myself.

I am slowly getting together the equipment needed for my first mini mash.

So far I have:

20L SS pan
SS Sieve
Digital scales
SS whisk and spoon

I already own a big old square esky which is around 35L and a basic fermentation set up. Also I am looking to gather some glass bottles and have 20 Grolsch flip tops and several 375ml ones but as yet no caps or capper. I looked at camping type gas (butane) burners today at kmart and they were $20 for a single burner set up and 6 cannisters of gas were a suprisingly cheap $6 - the only thing that held me back was the BTU rating of 7,200 which I need to confirm will heat and be able to be easily and quickly regulated when needed. SWMBO has put her foot down on me cooking exotic beers in her kitchen!

I want to have all the gear ready for my first brew day so as I dont get caught with my pants down so to speak and am running to the usual tight budget so may need a week or 3 to get it all together but have already cleared it with SWMBO.

So, what am I missing and is it essential?
[post="56913"][/post]​

Any advice on the 7,200 BTU burner? I need to buy something this week as I am preping to do my forst wort next wekend. Cheers.

:chug:

Let's put that 7,200 BTU into perspective - NASA burners are 130,000 BTU.

NRB said:
Let's put that 7,200 BTU into perspective - NASA burners are 130,000 BTU.
[post="57080"][/post]​
I guess I won't be buying it then???

So where do you guy's get your burners from??????

And the wok burner on my bbq could almost get 10l to a rolling boil.

the wok burner is around 9mj/hr from memory.

My other burner is an old single ring my dad took from an old water heater back in the 50's. I turned up a new jet an stem for it and have it running well but i want to hook it up to acetylene for extra heat, plus acetylene is free for a fridgey;)

G'day Odball,

If you don't want to go for a 'NASA' burner, I can vouch for a 3 ring burner you can buy from any camping shop in tandem with an adjustable regulator - in true spinal tap form mine goes up to 11! :lol: - it will bring a full wort up to boil in good time and isn't expensive.

Good luck,

Shawn.

Gough said:
G'day Odball,

If you don't want to go for a 'NASA' burner, I can vouch for a 3 ring burner you can buy from any camping shop in tandem with an adjustable regulator - in true spinal tap form mine goes up to 11! :lol: - it will bring a full wort up to boil in good time and isn't expensive.

Good luck,

Shawn.
[post="57086"][/post]​
Eh? Sorry but I don't even know what an adjustable regulator is or where to purchase one?

Where do Ipurchase a NASA burner and what are the benefits over a cheaper model?

So many questions!!!
:excl: :party: :super:

Do you have a gas BBQ? The regulator is the roundish metal part connected to your hose to regulate how much gas makes it to the burner from your bottle. You can use the one from your BBQ but it only pumps limited pressure and it can take a long time to boil your wort. An adjustable reg allows you to turn up the pressure and generate more heat, more quickly. A good thing...

The NASA burners are excellent, but also need a different hose at least, and are more expensive. Depends what you want to spend...

That's as simply as I can explain it. Hope it helped,

Shawn.

Back