My First In Over 20 Years

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDT015

Reaction score
Ive been lurking here for some time now and finally decided to join up and ask a few questions.
It seems a lot has change over the years what with kegging and all but I decided to get me started I would stick to what I remember so off to the HBS I go.
I came home with a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter, 500gms Moltadextrin, 500gms Malt and a teabag of Hops (fuggles) and the guy said it would make a Kilkenny clone.
Now, I dont have any way of controlling the temps other than I am doing all this inside the house.
I will be bottling this weekend as its been in the fermenter now for 2 weeks and adding the drops.
This is how we did it years ago.
Things may change in time but for now and the foreseeable future this is how it must be.
Am I going to be disappointed ? or will this be an acceptable drink ?
Cheers
Andrew

Ive been lurking here for some time now and finally decided to join up and ask a few questions.
It seems a lot has change over the years what with kegging and all but I decided to get me started I would stick to what I remember so off to the HBS I go.
I came home with a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter, 500gms Moltadextrin, 500gms Malt and a teabag of Hops (fuggles) and the guy said it would make a Kilkenny clone.
Now, I dont have any way of controlling the temps other than I am doing all this inside the house.
I will be bottling this weekend as its been in the fermenter now for 2 weeks and adding the drops.
This is how we did it years ago.
Things may change in time but for now and the foreseeable future this is how it must be.
Am I going to be disappointed ? or will this be an acceptable drink ?
Cheers
Andrew

Andrew, good on you for coming back to brewing . I recently did the same. I can't leave you hanging here after your first post. Your beer will be fine. I would ave done the same except I might have tried to regulate the temperature a little depending on the yeast you use and he temp in your house. Let us know how it goes.

welcome back mate. Im sure the beer will turn out great. for your next brew look up Bulk Priming makes your carb levels great for every bottle and you wont have to worry about the drops. there are a few threads around on it

long as the temp didnt get to high.should be ok..muntons is one of the better brand's in Kits

Thanks guys, I will look into the bulk thing but for now its just baby steps LOL
I bottled the Kilkenny Clone yesterday, smells nice but it went into the bottles looking cloudy - is this normal ?

Thanks guys, I will look into the bulk thing but for now its just baby steps LOL
I bottled the Kilkenny Clone yesterday, smells nice but it went into the bottles looking cloudy - is this normal ?

Welcome back to brewing. I did the same thing a couple of months back after 20 years also...a lot has changed in that time.

Leave it in the bottles for a few weeks (or longer if you can), should clear up nicely. :)

Yep completely normal, chillax brew brother! :)

Let me/us know how it tastes in a few weeks, I put down my own kit Kilkenny clone yesterday, the Coopers Draught with 700gm dextrose, 500gm maltodextrin and 300gm of golden syrup (pretty much a tweaked version of the "Irish Red Ale" recipe off the Coopers website. Smells bloody great in the fermenting cupboard. Nice big krausen on it already but no airlock activity to speak of after about 20 hours. It'll get there. Shame you're not in Melbourne we coulda swapped a 6 pack!

Thanks again guys, Ill let ya'll know in about 3 weeks what its like.
Juzdu, I would love to take you up on the swap but the drive might kill me LOL

Latest posts

Back