My first extract brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decr

Reaction score
So I wanted to try out something else than k&k and a mate came over with a recipe and we had at it. I'm not sure what it's called, a "mini boil" maybe, 5l boil for a 20l batch. I wanted to keep it simple as it was my first time tipping my toe in this whole boil business.

3kg DLME
US-05
700g dex
40g Columbus
60g Cascade

(I know the dex was over the top but I like strong beers so I don't have to have that many...)

So we started with 5l of water and 450g DLME on a 60 min schedule as follows:
- 60 mins Columbus 20g
- 20 mins Columbus 20g
- 10 mins Cascade 30g
- 0 mins Cascade 30g

Rehydrate yeast, dump it all in as usual, and it took off happily pretty quick.

Now 3 weeks later all I can say that this is probably the best beer I've ever had. Sure I'm biased since I brewed it but the difference going from k&k is amazing. I'd happily pay $10 a pint at the pub for this stuff and it's not even aged yet. Holy moly. Now I get what people say about the tinny taste with kits.

I'm just blown away.

So the question is, as I like the recipe above so much, what would you guys suggest to change to make it even better? I'm very new to this so please state the obvious as well :)

Thanks!

Thanks Grott

Yeah... but then at the same time I didn't come up with it so it could be very unrefined. Just asking for opinions how to possibly tune it. It's yum, having one right now btw.

Steeping grains have a fair bit of impact on your extract brews, both in taste and physical qualities (colour, head, mouthfeel).

sub a kilo of dry wheat extract in for a kilo of the DLME, and instead of the 20min Columbus addition, use it as a dry hop addition.

Stove top brewing with LDME is a great way into good quality beer, you'll never look back.
Sub some of the dex for some steeped specialty grains. Steeping is dead simple. Start with say some pale crystal at around 250grams and go from there.

Cheers,
Gavo.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Gavo, yeah I didn't realise the difference would be so massive.

Cheers

Yeah I started the same way back in 2008, then moved to full boil partials with say 2kg of LDME and mini mashes. Been doing AG since late 2008 and don't think any other way.
Keep it up and keep trying different stuff.

I'm in the same boat - just kegged my first extract brew last night (the Cascarillo if you're looking for another recipe) and it was amazing! I only tasted the leftover bit from on top of the yeast cake, but even my wife liked it - and she doesn't even drink beer.

I know exactly what you're talking about, very exciting to have so many new brews to try!

What was the cost of ingredients for the brew may also be worth trying a fresh wort kit if can get local at the right price.

So I wanted to try out something else than k&k and a mate came over with a recipe and we had at it. I'm not sure what it's called, a "mini boil" maybe, 5l boil for a 20l batch. I wanted to keep it simple as it was my first time tipping my toe in this whole boil business.

3kg DLME
US-05
700g dex
40g Columbus
60g Cascade

(I know the dex was over the top but I like strong beers so I don't have to have that many...)

So we started with 5l of water and 450g DLME on a 60 min schedule as follows:
- 60 mins Columbus 20g
- 20 mins Columbus 20g
- 10 mins Cascade 30g
- 0 mins Cascade 30g

Rehydrate yeast, dump it all in as usual, and it took off happily pretty quick.

Now 3 weeks later all I can say that this is probably the best beer I've ever had. Sure I'm biased since I brewed it but the difference going from k&k is amazing. I'd happily pay $10 a pint at the pub for this stuff and it's not even aged yet. Holy moly. Now I get what people say about the tinny taste with kits.

I'm just blown away.

So the question is, as I like the recipe above so much, what would you guys suggest to change to make it even better? I'm very new to this so please state the obvious as well :)

Thanks!
im looking to jump straight from kits to extract, i know its a old post but how has this recipe improved? have you added anything more to it?

im looking to jump straight from kits to extract, i know its a old post but how has this recipe improved? have you added anything more to it?
Yep decr seems to be in hibernation, but switching out the dextrose for specialty malts would certainly help.

Maybe steep some light crystal and a little munich (I often use these in small amounts in American pales) perhaps try 200-250g of each.

Less alcohol but more flavor than the original.

Steeping grains have a fair bit of impact on your extract brews, both in taste and physical qualities (colour, head, mouthfeel).

I'd certainly agree with this from ein stein. Steeps some specialty grains for a fresher flavour and if you're going to add so much dex (which I find kills head retention) add some carapils as well.

Experiment and have fun!

Back